Chapter 38 - Henry

Walking down the hallway in a single file line, I've never felt more contented. This will finally be the day that everyone will be free from this torture. Finally the first day I don't have to run and hide, finally the first time I don't have to lie to the ones I love for the fear of Walker finding me.

   For once I can actually breathe.

  "Hey, where are we going?" Thomas asks in a hushed tone through the ear piece.

  "We're going to the dwellings, where they keep test subjects, there's someone there that I need to get."

  "Oh, okay,"

   It falls silent again, other Shadow Men pass us occasionally. We turn through a series of long corridors, I remember my first time trying to escape, getting lost in the corridors. But then I learned where everything is...where all the exits were.

   "It's up here," I say, quietly whispering into the microphone.

  I stop, in front of me is a large, single door, made of full iron. It has a passcode on the handle,the keypad lighting up a light red shade.

  "Do you know the code?" Will asks from beside me.

  "No, I'm going to have to do something else. Stand back," I say, and everyone backs up, and so do I. I reach into the suit jacket and pull out the gun that David gave me before we left to come here. It's light, not like all the other gun's I've handled.

   I whip my head around, my eyes flickering down each corridor to make sure no one is there, which there's no one. I place my finger under the trigger and pull it, the bullet flying out of the barrel and onto the lock. I shoot it one more time, and do it again, the lock falling and the keypad lighting up green.

   "Are you crazy!" Will whisper shouted, "what if someone heard or saw that! Oh we're done for."

  "Will you just shut up, it's fine! Act like you belong here, come on," I say, motioning my hand for everyone to follow me, and they do. The only sound is our shoes clapping against the smooth concrete floor. Inside, all the lights are off accept one. The one light illuminates the floor in the middle of the space, not illuminating anything else.

   "Don't touch anything," I order.

   I scrutinize all the dwellings, walking by them one by one, peering in them to see any figure. All are empty accept one. I pace over to the one dwelling, looking through the bars on the door, it reminds me so much of a jail facility door.

   "Hey, you there," I whisper shout, there's camera's all over this part of the compound, so watching every little thing is important and crucial for our plan not to fail.

  A man, looking around in forties with dirty blonde hair comes into sight, his piercing green eyes meeting eyes. He still looks the same as he did all those years ago.

   "Hey, I'm here to get you out of here, Henry."

  "Who are you?" He asks, his voice hoarse and rasp.

  "Camden, do you remember me, Henry?"

  He stays silent, not saying a word. Instead he keeps his gaze on me, as if he's trying to remember me. I take off the shades, revealing my whole face to him. Something flashes across his face, but is concealed.

   "Camden, as in the boy who wanted to escape and did. As in the boy who wanted to take down this place?" He questions, still skeptical.

  "Yes, the one that came up with the insane idea to escape from here." I say, fumbling with the lock with a bobby pin I had in my pocket, trying to get it unlocked.

  "What are you doing here?"

  "Doing what I said I wanted to do ever since I was twelve, take down NanoTech. I'm here to rescue you and take you home, for good this time." The lock finally unlocks, the clicking noise small and subtle. I swing open the door slowly and quietly, luckily we were in the dark so therefore the cameras wont see us.

  "Come on, we don't have much time, we need to leave."

Leave before we get caught and everything comes crashing down.

___________