Chapter 20 - Tomorrow

Keith's POV

   It's been days since the painful confession I made to Jay, about the dream device. I hate being the reason she's wounded, both mentally and physically. I hate what NanoTech has done to her and I. I just hate every little thing they do...and I don't know how much longer I can stand with this. Soon enough they will become a nationwide company followed by international. Right now, there's only three compounds that NanoTech owns, one here in Denver, Phoenix, and one in Washington DC, the one in Phoenix was the one I was taken to when I was six with no explanation other than my mother couldn't handle it anymore, but I know now that it wasn't the case. It was something way worse. They signed up to give me away to Walker as a test subject when I was born, cruel.

I'm jarred out of my thoughts when a soft knock sounds, grabbing my attention. I almost had forgotten that I was still here, in Jay's room thinking alone while she was out making some dinner. Shortly after, the door creaks open and Jay sticks her head in.

Thinking about NanoTech wasn't the only reason why I was alone right now, no, the other - real - reason was because tomorrow is the day I've been dreading for a month.

Adam's funeral.

I didn't want to talk about it, nor think about it but it's impossible when I have to give a speech. I ave no problem with it, it's just it will be hard, talking about someone who's diseased in front of a large population of familiar faces and not burst in a sobbing hysteria. If you ask me, it's impossible. But I will try my hardest to keep it contained until after the ceremony...if I can hold it in that long.

"Hey, you alright? What's wrong?" Jay's impressible voice booms through the room, making me turn my attention fully to Jay, who's now sitting beside me, she grabs my hand and caresses the back of it, her presence and touch immediately soothes me from all the thoughts.

"Nothing. I'm alright."

"No you're not. I can see it in your mood, you're not happy...what's wrong?"

I stay silent, staring at our intertwined hands.

"It's alright, you can tell me."

I let out a light sigh of defeat, "tomorrow's the day, Jo-Je and I have been planning this all week last week, and now it's all gonna happen tomorrow, I-I just don't know if I'm ready. I'm s-still not used to t-the fact that he's not here with me, laughing and playing football with me, I-I'm still not used to it, tomorrow's j-just gonna b-be so hard. I don't know if I can do it." I choke on my own words.

"Keith, look at me," she places her hand under my chin, forcing me to look into her green sparkling eyes. "You can do this. You're so strong. Don't let your mind change the fact. You are ready, I know you are, you are so brave...the bravest person I've ever met to endure all the things you have, especially at such a young age. I know that you can do this, I just know you can. I bet your speech will be beautiful...I know it will be. And when it get hard, I'll be there. Right beside you, I'm not gonna let go. I promise."

"You promise?"

She nods, "I promise with all my heart."

I smile, "Thank you."

"Of course, I will always be there for you when you need me, nothing will never change that. No matter our ups and our downs, I will always be there."

I lightly kiss her temple and she leans her head against my shoulder, focusing on her breathing.

It was then how much I realized our love and passion has remained unfazed.

__________

Another short chapter I know, I didn't mean for it to be so short, but the chapters will get longer I promise! Yay! Finally made it chapter 20!

Make sure to vote, comment, follow, share, and enjoy!

HAPPY READING!

~AlexisJadeS22