Chapter 5 - Questioned

"I'm sorry for everything I've put you through, first the running away thing and then the thing with Walker and now the lies." I say, stroking her hair with a gentle touch of my fingers.

   "It's alright, you don't have to keep apologizing." She says in a hushed tone.

   Jay is tucked into the side of my body, creating a warming pleasure to overtake my body. Our legs were intertwined as my arm was wrapped around her small figure, protectingly.

   "I love you, Jay."

   She yawned, "I love you, too." Then her head fell further into my side, and her body relaxed instantly. Her breathing was stead as her head was rested on my shoulder blade.

   "Goodnight, BlueJay." I whispered in her ear and I saw a smile tug at the corners of her lips.

   I placed a small, lingering kiss on her temple and rested my chin on top of her head, her soft hair tickling my face. I readjusted my body so I was laying on my side, and surprisingly it wasn't painful but comforting knowing that Jay was there with me to provide the peace I've been longing for.

   But one thought crossed my mind, she was wearing a hospital gown, and wasn't gone because the visiting hours were up. The last time I saw her was. Five days ago when she passed out, and I did to shortly after.

   Did she get put in a room?

   I let it slide, not really wanting to think about anything other than the present, right now. I wrapped my free hand that was wrapped in a cast around her back and pulled her closer into my chest, her light breaths fanning my neck. Now, Jay was completely wrapped up by me as my muscular arms held her closer to my body.

   I've missed her so much over the past days, it was almost unbearable. I've been begging for someone to get her, but when I would plead, no one said a word. They didn't tell me a single thing other than directing me to calm down  and take deep breaths which didn't help the stress to calm me down, it only made it ten times worse.

   I continued to run my fingers through her hair, slowly drifting away myself into the darkness. And soon, the world around me became a large blur as my eyelids felt heavy.

  Then, I was gone.

***

   The sun was shining through my closed eyelids, making them glow a faint pinking glow. Jay stirred as I moved my body a bit so my chest wouldn't cramp, something Dr. Goldstein warned me about.

   My head was still slightly elevated from the night before when Jay propped it up for me so I could see her correctly. My neck was stiff and had a painful knot in it. In my attempt to sooth it, it only caused me more agony, and I hissed through chattering teeth. 

   "You okay?"

   "Yeah, just a crank in my neck." I respond. Jay sits up and moves her body so now she's facing me. I tried to crank it out again, rolling my head ever which way and rubbing at my skin harshly.

  "Here, stop. Let me help you." I stopped to let Jay take over, who stood and placed her two hand around my shoulders, she rubbed them then did the same to my neck, with no pain. Instantly, the pain of the crank was gone and my neck was relieved.

  "Better?"

  "Way, thanks." I say, smiling back at her, she then comes around and sits were she was before, the familiar warmth filling my body once more.