Chapter 22 - The One And Only

Keith's POV

   My eyes are bloodshot, my throat sore, and my whole body is aching in a certain pain I've felt before. Though this time it feels...worse. I'm lying down on the cold grass that grows outside the funeral home, wishing all my problems away. No one has come out to get me, and I'm grateful for that...I don't think I'll ever be able to step into that room where endless pairs of eyes and familiar faces bore themselves into your mind, forever glued in your memory.

   The clouds above glide swiftly overhead, peacefully moving with the headwinds. The grass that's seeded in the ground glows with extravagant value; different shades of green covering the earth's floor. Not a sound is to be heard besides the low chirps coming from bluebirds that fly with one another in the February air.

   "Keith..."

     A hand abruptly lands on my shoulder, followed by a small figure dropping beside me,the blonde hair unmistakable.

  "Are you alright?"

   No, no I'm not.

  "Keith, you are strong, remember that. When I told you that, that day, I wasn't lying. I know it hurts to let go, but sometimes it hurts more to hold on. You two were so close, but never forget that he will always be with you. No more saying 'then' or 'were' when thinking of him, say 'were' and 'still'. Adam will forever be with you, Keith, don't let the fact that he's not visually here affect you. Just know that he's there in your heart, and never let go of the memories you've made with him, can you do that for me?" She asks.

   I nod and say, "yes" faintly. I'm immediately taken into an embrace by Jay, her body heat radiating off her,  providing me with much needed comfort.

   "Jay, thank you." I whisper into her hair that is flowing down her back.

  "For what?"

  "For staying with me and helping me. I don't know how I can ever repay you for all the things you've done for me."

  "You don't need to, having you by my side will always be enough for me. Sometimes I still wonder what I did to deserve you."

  "You suffered, only to stay strong through all of it. That's what you did to deserve this love we share."

  A puny smile glides over her lips, her eyes glinting with a piece of happiness and joy.

  She stands up, but I'm quick to grab hold of her wrist, restraining her from going anywhere, "stay with me, please. I d-don't think I can handle going in there."

  She sits down without another word being spoken, leaning against my body, resting her head on my shoulder. I take her hand in mine and am reminded of her touch and its power on me. We stare off in front of us, the Rocky Mountains standing tall while the clouds and trees sway in the breeze. The sun is slowly setting, now knowing that it is no longer high noon.

   Sitting here calms everything. Taking a moment to slow down and actually live in the present, not the past or the future. The past can hurt, but the way I see it, you can either run from it or learn and heal from it. And I, Keith Parker, will heal from my mistakes and learn from them. The past might always come to haunt me, but like Jay said, I will stay strong and fight through the pain. And I can see clearly that I've done something right, because every single time I look over to my side, there stands the one and only person I will love and cherish forever.

  The one person that can comfort me, and make my problems disappear into thin air: Scarlett Davis.

  Or the one and only Jay Newman.

__________