Chapter 39 - Escape

"Thank you Camden, thank you for not forgetting about me and coming back," he states, I don my shades and take hold of his arm.

  "Of course I was going to come back, I needed to do this because life out of this place has gotten hard, so I needed to do it, to take this place down and get you," I make my way towards the door, making sure to stay out of the light, everyone following me behind.

  "And you all came here to do that?" Henry looks back to Thomas, Will, Jordan, Bennett, and Owen, their faces emotionless as we make our way back to the open hallway.

"Yes, they all came here to help me," I say, "act scared, so that we're convincing to the others."

  Henry does as he's told, not saying another word, his face painted with an emotion of mock fear as we lead him down the long hallway, back to the exit where we came from. 

   A Shadow Man walks opposite of us, giving me a questioned glare, I stay silent, pretending like I didn't see him.

  "What are you doing with that test subject?" His dark voice rings through the corridor, echoing through he place.

  "Walker has requested his presence, please if you'd excuse us, he doesn't like to be kept waiting." My voice is dark and demanding, the Shadow Man nods and continues walking.

  "That was close," Henry whispers.

  "Yeah, so we need to speed up, Walker's meeting is almost done."

  We walk in silence through the corridors, turning left then right, weaving our way back to the exit. Finally, the door to the back is clearly visible, no guards are near, it's as if they've abandoned their jobs and everything seems to be a ghost town.

   Owen pushes by me and opens the door, walking into the fresh air. The sun is rising, the skies are a mixture of orange, yellow, and dark pastel pink; white clouds float gracefully in the sky.

  Will opens the back door of the van, ushering everyone inside. I glance at my watch. 6:13. His meeting will end in seventeen minutes, just enough time to get off the compound and on the highway.

   I jump into the back of the van, taking a seat with Henry besides me, Thomas locks the doors and the engine roars to life, shortly after the vehicle starts moving toward the exit.

  "Jordan, you have the pass right?" I ask, and he holds it up. I nod and sit back and relax.

  The van stops, and the loud beep of the machine being cleared from outside sounds.

  "And we made it!" Jordan cheers, and the whole van erupts into cheers, even I join in. Bennett, Will and Thomas fist bump the air and I holler.

   "We did it!" Owen chants.

  "Thank you! All of you! This wouldn't have been possible without you all!" I say and and they all whoop and shout.

   Thank you

  Now, today's the day that my real life begins and everything of the past can be forgotten.

  Todays the day that everything starts fresh.

__________