Chapter 21 - The Speech

Keith's POV

    Standing in front of the building, I can already feel the tears and pain come to me, drawing me closer to them. But I have to do what Jay told me to, I have to be strong and brave. No matter how hard it will be, I have to do this for my brother, Liam. Or as everyone knows him, Adam.

   If it weren't for that one day of going to NanoTech and getting into that horrible accident, he could still be here with us. I miss him so much, it's not even describable. A hand clasps around my shoulder and I peer to my left, there stood David in a neat suit and tie, staring at me.

   "Are you ready?"

   I gulp down all the nervousness - well at least trying to - before speaking with a raspy voice, "Yeah...I think so."

   He gives me a sympathetic smile that reaches his eyes, then walks and joins arms with Jo-Je who's standing on one of the steps, waiting patiently to enter the home that I so desperately didn't want to enter. Jay comes up beside me and takes my hand.

   "you're ready, I know you are." she whispers in a hushed tone to me so only I could hear. I take her within my arms, embracing her tightly against my body, taking a deep whiff of her scent that calms me down instantly.

  I let go of her, my whole body shaken, and we make our way inside. There I saw the familiar faces of Will, Eli, Owen, Thomas, and Jake. I was surprised to see that even Bennett and his crew was there as well, giving me apologetic smiles, the last thing I honestly want is there pity. After everything they've done to Jay, I can't forgive them for it. Although I said I forgave Bennett, I partially did. I can't fully after hurting Jay with notes and actually touching her, slapping and punching her. The thought is unbearable. 

   We walk down the aisle and sit in the front row that was reserved for the family members. On the stage, an assortment of decorative flowers were set up all along the rim of the stage. A picture of Adam is resting on an isle, facing the crowd. The picture shows him laughing, having a good time. I remember that picture because it was in a picture frame inside the Newman house, atop the mantel of the fireplace.

   The speaker stands and welcomes us, and from there I can already feel the pain and guilt rising.

  I don't know how much I can handle until I break.

***

   I stand from my seat, my legs weak, as I make my way to the stairs, ascending them and shuffling across the stage to the speaker podium. The microphone set up and my speech papers neatly set up on top of the polished, shiny wood.

   Last night, while Jay was asleep, I took about two hours to write this speech, to make sure it said everything I wanted it to. To make sure it was utopian and golden. I stare out into the crowd, my gaze landing on Jay who's sitting with her hands in her lap, her dress flowing out from her waist; she gives me an encouraging smile and mouths out 'you can do this' to me.

   "I can do this." I tell myself over and over again, the reassurance not really helping on boosting my confidence, but I start anyway. Drawing in a shaky breath and exhaling, speaking the first word of my speech.

  "Adam, my brother and a loving friend to everyone. He's always helped me and others willingly, not complaining once about doing so. I remember the vivid time when I first came to the home, on top of the hill. I remember thinking to myself when I first saw Adam 'wow, he looks like me.'" the crowd lets out a low chuckle, all in perfect harmony but stop shortly after, their eyes ushering me to continue.

   "Although I've only known Adam for three years, it seems as if I've known him my whole l-life. When I first became part of the family, him and I immediately clicked. We did a whole bunch of things together. We were inseparable from one another. We always would joke, laugh, and work together. Even in school, I remember we would always beg the teacher to put us in the same group with one another so we could do nothing but mess around...which it never happened anyway. The teacher knew all too well about our tactics."

   I pause, taking in a breath, recalling the memory of that one day sophomore year when we were on our knees begging to be in the same group, the memory made me smile. 

   "He was only eighteen, that one car crash ruining everything. But there's one thing that I will never forget, is that he was always there for me and had my back, no matter the consequences. I love him like a brother, and he w-will forever be a part of me." I look up from the papers on the podium, out to the crowd and then over to the picture of Adam.

   "I miss you Liam"

   I gaze back at the podium, then to Jay and my eyes flicker all the way down the row until they narrow on their target. Someone I think has something to do with the fact of Liam being gone, Caitlyn. A single tear escapes my iris and run down the side of my face, staining the thin paper.

   "Thank you." I say, averting my eyes back to the crowd and they erupt into a soft clap of respect.

   I pace off the stage and turn into a running speed as I go down the aisle, running out the doors and out of the building so that I'm free to scream, yell, and let out all the anger and madness that has been building up inside me all this time.

  I let it all out and I won't stop until someone shuts me up.

_____________

   Hey there! kind of a sad chapter.

   I want to know - being the curious person that I am - did you have an emotion to this chapter? if you did comment yes to the side and if you want to, tell what it was (tearing up, crying, nothing, etc...)

  Anyway, make sure to vote, comment, follow, share, and enjoy!

  HAPPY READING!

  ~AlexisJadeS22