Chapter 36 - Eli

The moonlight shines down on us as we stand in the driveway, fixing and setting up the ear pieces and microphones in order to communicate to one another and to complete our disguises, as David said they would.

   The three piece suit fits perfectly and looks convincing. I slip on the shades and immediately my vision goes dark.

  "Woah, this is what it looks like behind these?" Owen states before I could even open my mouth to say the same exact thing.

  David chuckles, "Yes, it's so that your eyes can adjust and see clearer, don't ask me how it does it because I'm not behind the science. But I do ask you to be careful with them, they're expensive."

  "Will do boss!" Bennett shouts, eagerness within his voice. He wants to go and get back as much as I do.

  "Is everyone ready?!" Will shouts, opening the doors to the large black painted van.

  "Yeah!" Thomas answers, going into the van.

  Just then, another car pulls up and in the drivers seat is Eli, his face looking smug, no emotion as if he were almost...controlled.

   "Who's that?" a voice asks from behind me, just as Eli opens the door and slams it, storming toward us quickly, his eyes locking on one target...Jay.

  "ELI NO!" I scream and charge toward him as he lifts his arm up, a shinny metal gun in his hand and his finger locked on the trigger, ready to shoot.

  I jump onto Eli's back, trying to take him down to the gravel and stop him from shooting Jay.

  "Help! Hold him down!" I scream and plea for help and Bennett as well as David are at my side in seconds, taking hold of Eli's strong and bulky arms as he struggles to rip our grip off him.

   "Jay, get a knife, he's got a tracker in him!" I shout at Jay, staring back at her and she immediately runs back into the house, Jo-Je stands watching wide-eyed at the scene that is playing out in front of her. The others watch as well, standing back and out of the way.

   I turn my attention back to Eli, kicking the gun out and far away from his hands so he can't do anything, well more like he can't be forced to do anything.

   "Hey! Eli! Look at me!" I yell at him, kneeling down on one knee and draping an arm over my leg for support. He avoids eye contact.

  "Look at me!" I yell once again, my voice dark and demanding. I didn't know it could be like that. This time, his eyes meet mine and his face stays the same, no emotion, no nothing.

  "What are you doing with this?" I hold up the gun, he stays silent. "ANSWER ME!"

  "I'm here to fulfill and order, to kill her!" he points a finger at Jay, who's now at my side, handing me a knife and a large towel. Once she heard that, she shuddered and stepped back instantly, fear within her eyes.

  "Move your head to the left." I demand, but he doesn't do it. "Bennett, tilt his head to the left, now!"

  he does as I said, exposing the skin where the tracker is. I can see the little bump and scar it left, perfect for me to get it out quick and easy.

  "Someone hold his feet!" Owen and Will do immediately.

   I point the blade down, cutting the healing skin open, Eli yelps and kicks and struggles to get out of the grip of us, but fails. I drag the knife horizontally down the side of his neck, then I pinch and the device comes straight out, a wire dangling from it to where it used to be connect to a receptor.

  "It's out, let him go." All four of them let go, Eli immediately covers the cut and stares at me and the knife in my hand, confusion clearly etched on his face.

  "What happened?"

  "Walker, he put a tracker in you, making you fall under his control," David explains before I can even open my mouth. What is up with everyone stealing my words?

   "I didn't do anything right? please say I didn't!" Eli panics.

  "No, you didn't do anything," Bennett states.

  "Wait a second, why are you guys dressed like that?"

"We're going to break into the NanoTech compound, and expose them." I stand up, and hold out my hand to help him up, he takes it and is on his feet within a matter of seconds.

"Oh, and you all are going?" Eli's eyes flicker around the gravel driveway. There's a total of six of us going, including me.

"Yeah, and we need to get going, we're behind schedule!" I say staring at my watch that reads 2:12 AM. It takes a total hour and a half to get there without any stopping and if we want to get there on time, we have to leave now. 

  Bennett, Jordan, Will, Thomas and Owen get into the van, leaving me stand in the driveway.

  "Good luck." Eli says, a small smile spread across his face.

  "Thank you," I say, and walk to the van and open the back door ready to step in, but a hand stops me and turns me around.

  Jay wraps her hands around my neck, "please be safe out there," she whispers. I snake my arms around her waist and pull her to my body.

  "I will, I pink promise," she giggles and pulls back, her hair falling around her shoulders, framing her face.

  "Good luck, I'm looking forward to your return."

  "I am too, I'll see you later today, I love you."

  "I love you too," with that, I step into the car and wave one last time to everyone behind me - David, Jay, and Jo-Je.

  I shut the door, locking it and take a seat on the cold metal floor of the van.

  "You two are so cute together!" Will snickers in a mock high pitched girl voice.

  I roll my eyes, "just shut up and drive."

  ______________