Chapter 8

"I'm glad to see that you like your new home."

The rogue turned and faced Titania, who had appeared in the doorway. Her posture remained casual but alert. Covering her sweaty body was a simple pair of training shorts and a sports bra and he couldn't help himself but let his eyes wander. Not a second later he snapped himself out of it; he could feel the bite of anger return and start to burn.

He lay further back on the leather couch. Trying his hardest to appear unaffected by her unannounced visit. "It's okay."

She nodded but remained standing. To him, she looked rather uncomfortable and his curiosity was piqued. He rose from the couch, to put space between them, and motioned for her to come in. Titania did just that and he had wondered why she hadn't just barged in; she was the Alpha after all.

The awkward silence descended between them. He rummaged around in the kitchen, looking for anything to distract from the wolf behind him. 

"Why am I here?"

At her blank face, he sighed, "Why am I not in the cellar or better off, dead?" He moved into another cupboard, finding a glass and proceeded to pour himself a glass of water. His eyes momentarily caught the orange tint of the whisky bottle but refrained. He needed a clear head to deal with the female, "I'm not stupid and your pack has made it perfectly clear that I should be caged or dead, so my question to you is why?"

With measured steps she leant against the wall opposite the male, eyes boring into his head. At her further silence, he demanded, "Don't you think that I deserve some answers?"

She raised an eyebrow at his raised tone but gave him what he wanted, "It's not up to the pack but up to me. I let you live because I see potential. You're useful to this pack." She watched him carefully, "As long as you have no other traitorous ties."

He gulped at the thought of what his failed actions had stirred in the south, he would not be returning there. "Alpha Jared will have me killed to cover his tracks. He doesn't realise that I'm still living, especially by your choice."

The bitterness seeped into his tone but Titania didn't seem offended or remotely bothered by it. 

"This is my pack. Get used to it." She offered him as a means of response. 

With a sour expression clipping her angelic features, she continued to watch him. For she had never seen such a male in all her years; this was surely the bond talking but she could appreciate him in all his glory. Currently filling out his kilt with lean muscles and a glorious golden tan, he stood like a Goliath, strong, proud and fiery. The opposite to his sweet and sultry scent. She breathed it in, relished it. Letting it swirl and fill her up.

Frustrated, he glanced at his empty glass. Against his better judgement, he reached for the bottle and poured himself a measurable volume of the spirit. By the Moon Goddess, he needed it with a mate like Titania.

"Then it's sorted. You are now a part of Duskfall."

He shook his head, took a sip and simply sent her a dark look. "I can't stay here. Not with you."

As if expecting his answer she stalked forwards, eyes flickering between her wolf and her. The room suddenly felt too small for them both. Too much willpower, too much fire, too much dominance... too much sexual tension.

"And where else will you go?" She inquired. A dark shadow passed his face at the taunt and he could feel the whisky encourage the anger that Titania managed to invoke within. 

He took another sip, "Anywhere. So long as it isn't here."

Uncharacteristically, Titania laughed. A rich ominous sound that held no girlish charm. No joy was present just a sinister noise that made his eyes flicker upwards. Her face contorted into a half smirk and amusement danced in those pretty blue eyes.