Chapter 39

Eóghan's head hung low as he regarded the deathly pallor of the wolf that lay still on the Doctors bed. His bandaged hand, which had two stumps where his pinky and ring finger had once been - a curtsey of frostbite - hurt considerably less than the current ache that sat deep within his wolf.

"Will she make it?" He asked Doctor Craig for what seemed like the umpteenth time.

The man was working hard to plug her to a heart rate monitor and an IV line. It was hard, considering she was still in her furry form.

"It depends on her wolf healing. The damage to her is extensive, not to mention the fact that I'm unsure if she can shift back to her human form..." He sighed as he mixed a green paste. "I'm going to have to play it by ear. It could go either way at this rate."

Eóghan shared a look with Angus and Garth who took defensive stances by the door, eyes revealing their misery.

"So, we just sit and wait?" The Beta male's temper started to brew as he paced. "There must be something that we can do! We did not bring her back for her to die on us!"

Garth placed a careful hand on his superiors back. His wolf could sense the uneasiness of his wolf brother's spirit; it wasn't happy as it stalked within its confines. Eóghan looked worse for wear as he wore his disappointment like a mask; despair and darkness swirling around his usually composed aura.

The action calmed Eóghan but he looked at the Doctor expectantly. "Well?"

"You can help tend to her needs and help change her dressings. Apart from that, she's in charge of her own recovery." Doctor Craig's eyes flickered to Titania. "Since she's in wolf form, it will be harder to care for her so I'll need help, especially since I've got three other patients to see."

Turning to his Beta, he spoke in a grave tone, one that signalled the real severity they found themselves in. "I need you to bring me some restraints from the cellars. I'm not taking any precautions with this. And in all honesty, I'm not sure anyone has ever tried to heal a feral wolf."

"Doesn't mean it can't be done." Eóghan snapped back before returning to his pacing.

Using the mind link, Eóghan pinched his nose trying desperately to restrain himself, barely trusting his voice to come out anything but angry and demanding. Go get me two pairs of chains from the basement. The Doctor might be right about one thing, this whole situation is unpredictable.

Garth nodded quickly before he disappeared through the oak door to retrieve the shackles, allowing the elements to touch the room briefly with its cold tendrils. Silence descended over the room for a handful of seconds before the wind rattled branches against the window: the only sound that disturbed the vacant space.

The Doctor added a handful of plants to his concoction before reaching for a clear serum that finalised the foul-smelling mix. With a quick swirl, he sniffed it before looking pleased with himself while the others turned their noses away, the overpowering stench of mint assaulting their senses.

Angus had stood quiet and still, trying to absorb everything the Doctor was saying in a calm and collected manner. The tick of his brow was the only give to a sign of emotion.

"I can organise a care rota for her." He paused, directing his gaze to Eóghan. "Don't worry it will only include Duskfall wolves. You have too much on your plate as it is. Just let me worry about Titania."

Before Eóghan could contest Angus's proposal, Garth returned. A pair of silver-coated chains resting in his gloved arms.

"Thank fuck the storm is keeping everyone inside...swear there were five pairs of eyes burning into me."