Chapter 44

Nathan's pupils took three seconds to dilate back to normal as he was exposed to the light. His anger had peaked being manhandled and dragged miles to an unknown destination – his wolf pacing within. Spanish slurs had coloured their journey here.

"What the-?" His head took in the scene in front, eyes widening at the increasing hatred from the wolves. "Well nice to see you all too."

"It's not by choice fucktard." Lucy spat.

"Seems our bonding sessions in the cells haven't done us any good eh Lucy? Such a shame. So... what do y'all want with little old me?"

Lucy snorted. "Dear god, can't you like shut-up for even a minute? Your narrow mindedness might spread to the rest of us. And unlike you, we got important shit to do...like not being a snake and a complete waste of space." Brett barely concealed a snort at the pointed disgust on Nathan's face at Lucy's comment.

Nathan's demeanour irked Eóghan as his eyes narrowed at the male. Nathan stood before them cockily. His scent mixed with the unmistakable tinge of whisky. Brett's hands shook with such ferocity, how had a prisoner managed to acquire alcohol? His dark gaze landed on Eóghan who shrugged his shoulders, his own mind trying to find a reason how the man before them was drunk.

Lucy do you know anything about this?

At the mindlink, Lucy's eyes darted to her Beta. He has someone smuggling it in at the rota changes- I think. I've only been watching them a day, but it was the only explanation I could come up with. She dipped her head in respect.

The news caused Eóghan to shudder inwardly. How had security become so inadequate? Had this happened under his watch, his authority? He buttoned his insecurities and cast his eyes back to his superior – Titania would never have let this happen.

Doctor Craig, recognising Eóghan's pause in thought, answered the prisoner bluntly, "I'll give you the basics. We need to see if your mate bond will get a reaction out of Titania."

"Wait, she's still alive? Holy shit..." His head tilted to the bed where Titania lay, "Well she doesn't look alive to me. What good am I to this anyways, we both rejected each other."

The numbness at the revelation pricked through his senses, however the alcohol counteracted it. The emotional pain null to Nathan.

"Nearly dead thanks to you..." Brett grumbled under his breath.

Eóghan sent Brett a sharp look before growling at Nathan. "Just shut it and stay still. This is the least you can do for her."

Nathan scoffed, "Least I can do? She's like this because of her past, not me - so blame me all you want but it ain't true. I'm just your scapegoat."

It took a tremendous amount of control from the four wolves to hold back their loathing for his ignorant comments.

"See, told you that he's completely oblivious." Lucy rolled her eyes as Nathan's jaw clenched at the mockery. "Like trying to talk with a turnip."

Sensing the tension begin its slow ascent within the room, the doctor tried to hurry things along; Titania was already starting to stir and he wanted this over and done with quickly.

"Bring him over here, we need him to touch her before she fully wakes up."

The wolves did as the doctor said, Nathan's protests lost on them as they tried one of the last options Titania had. Brett watched on with uncertainty, for he knew the cost of failure and while his heart ached at Nathan affecting Titania, he reluctantly accepted that it was for the best.