Chapter 23

Lucy watched with bloodshot eyes as Nathan left Duskfall lands. Tears streaming mercilessly down the pale skin of her cheek. Unbashfully, she shot a dirty look to the other pack warriors, in particular, Angus who lead the majority of the pack to the side. Many grumbled with bared fangs. Tempers and wolves enraged at the show of the betrayal to their Alpha.

She strutted up at him, eyes blazing despite their tears and hissed, "What do you think you're doing? Just letting him go? That bastard deserves a public execution!!"

"Lucy..." The head warrior turned towards the teenager, "You know just as well as I do that that's not what she wants."

"And you know this how?!? Forgive me, head warrior but she's running around fucking feral because of him!!" Angus sent her a meaningful look and ushered out of ears way, elsewhere from passer-bys.

"Stop speaking so loud. We're not alone on packlands and you screaming about the Alpha's personal business is not what Duskfall needs."

She calmed at that statement but the resentment was still on a low burn within her eyes. Taking note of the clenched fists, deepened eyes and the sorrow that emanated from her being, he couldn't help but feel for the girl. For she too relied heavily on their Alpha and it was clear as day that without Titania's mentoring, the rejection was too much for Lucy to deal with.

In a hushed whisper, she pointed an accusational finger at the male's chest, "Maybe so, but I, like every other member of Duskfall, deserve justice for that mongrel's mistakes! He does not just get to walk out while our Alpha is out there...alone... IN WINTER."

Angus gulped, not wanting to scold the female when he too had the same thoughts. He just prayed that Eóghan knew what he was doing before Duskfall tore itself apart from the inside out. He sighed, having had enough of the conversation, "I know how you feel Lucy but right now, there's nothing I can do."

"Nothing you can do? NOTHING YOU CAN DO?" She huffed, "Go hunt down that mutts ass and let the pack deal with him the way we should've in the first place."

"Beta's orders, back down. But for now, we listen- so don't go doing anything stupid." He eyed the girl, "She was a big part of all of our lives, but Duskfall must move on."

"Trust you to say that." She muttered as she watched his retreating back.

Angus left, leaving a sombre Lucy to stew in her mind. A mind which was becoming more and corrupted by the absence of her mentor. Minutes passed and she remained, deep breathing off her anger, the dark scent of chocolate filled her and goose bumps arose. The tell tale signs moved her out her stupor and with a quick step, she avoided her mate, not wanting anything to do with the female at this current moment. 

Not like this, not when she was so...unstable. Too much too soon.

"Fuck him, I'll find the Alpha myself."

With newly found determination despite her aching heart, she ran off in the direction of the woodlands. Desperate to retrieve her Alpha.

~~~~~~~~~

The blue haired female was not hard to miss as she scoured the nippy temperatures of the rock pass. Tackling the southern territories first, the ones she had read extensively about; she kicked the slight anxiousness and stormed onwards, grumbling and cursing Nathan's very existence. If anything, she had adopted her Alpha's stubbornness and with desperation came the need to retrieve and save the one who had saved her.

Pushing through the harsh undergrowth she traveled miles, nothing deterring the hard-headed female. In the weeks of following Titania, she had learned a few ticks. From the bookworm she once used to be, to a newly trained juvenile warrior with specialisms in tracking, she was using the newly discovered skill to navigate the unfamiliar terrain.