Chapter 45

News spread of Titania's physical state like a wildfire. It brought a renewed surge of violence as Duskfall defended their recovering Alpha's honour while being challenged by the four packs. Alpha Lumiere was the only Alpha to remain neutral as everyone battled for the title of Duskfall– a pack widely known for its determination, strength and now resilience against the current epidemic.

Challenges were thrown daily and Eóghan, Garth and Angus all struggled to keep the wolves at bay. As soon as one challenge finished, another began. Fatigue, blood, and steely grit was all that filled Duskfall. Order and respect thrown out the window as wolves toppled over each other to snag the title of Duskfall's Alpha.

Alpha Alfonso watched with glee as each day brought Duskfall further and further to its knees. Even with his cane, he strutted around Duskfall grounds with an air of arrogant confidence. With Duskfall's upper ranks distracted with the sheer volume of challenges, curtesy of Alfonso's deceitful whispers and Titania's recovery, he was weaselling himself into a prime position. One of power with all other Alpha's on his side.

The perfect revenge for the misgivings of a woman Alpha and the weakness that had been brought upon the rest of them. He'd take her title for himself.

But not before destroying it first.

News of Titania's survival wasn't what he had expected from Nathan but his pawns were falling into place. The had eyes and ears in the pack, especially with the deaths and risks from Titania's rescue that related to all of the packs. It gave him the voice to speak of the fallen– to avenge them. All while serving his own purpose.

As he sat with his Beta outside in the spar rings, Mother nature giving them a day of pause from her winter onslaught, they talked in hushed tones while watching the challenges for the day. "There goes another one," his Beta motioned to the failed attempt from a French man. "At this rate, we'll not have an Alpha."

"Give it time, weakening them day by day will give us a window. Patience is key. We've just got to wait until they're at their worst." Alfonso's eyes regarded the Duskfall males, "they will fall, it's just a matter of when."

"Not long. Nathan did say that Titania's just shifted. It could mean she'll die within the next few days or be recovered soon. Are we better going for the jugular now? Do we have the time to wait?"

Alfonso snorted, narrowing his eyes onto the doubt within his Beta's tone, "She'll die soon regardless of her recovery. We'll kill her as she sleeps." His Beta's eyes widened, "And when she's out the picture, her wolves are mine. I'll challenge them myself."

"I see," was his comrade's response. Thoughtful eyes dashed to the wolves as they clashed with their opponents. The lag within some of their movements was obvious and while concealed, he could spot the exhaustion leaking from them. "When?"

"As soon as we find out where she's hidden. Rally the support here and make sure they're on our side. If I've learned anything, it's that we can't be too careful." His past betrayals came to the forefront of his mind as Alfonso's hands clasped together, readying his trusty cane. "And get Nathan out the cells. We'll need him."

"Sure...But why?"

Alfonso's cane smacked his Beta's neck, causing him to splutter. "Think about it. What would make a better demise for her highness? A peaceful sleep or being killed by her supposed moon-bound fated. We need to make a statement...Something that says that she can't rule again..."

A dark chuckle emanated from the vengeful man as he finished, "It's only fitting for the wretched bitch."

The Duskfall wolves could feel each pair of eyes burn through them as they fought each challenge, especially the Spanish. Each one waiting, assessing, and scheming. Keeping up a tough exterior while stretched to their limits meant the three wolves defending Duskfalls hierarchy were both physically, mentally, and spiritually drained.