Chapter 31

*Mature*

Duskfall was buzzing with activity. Wolves were busy preparing food, blankets and sorting out the various orders Eóghan had for them, all while the warriors continued with the harsh training regime and patrols, curtesy of Argus. None complained, as even though over a month and a half had passed, the loss of Titania was still felt deep. 

Any distraction was welcomed.

After completing her patrol, one that avoided her sister Laura's Southern cliffs, Lucy wandered around Duskfall lands. After catching the enticing scent of her mate, she found herself outside the cabin used for teaching the children of the pack. Due to the decline in children under the age of sixteen, the room was mostly filled with Duskfall little ones; ten came from Lithuania while the Belgium and French packs only had a couple. Spanish pack had none.

Lucy poked her head through the frosted window pane. Admiring how the icy surrounding only fared to bring out her mates dark complexion. Beautiful, gorgeous, divine, were the only words that floated through Lucy's mind at the sight. Marigold was currently sitting cross-legged on the floor, teaching a circle of children French verbs and phrases. Lucy spotted Ramsay's copper hair, much like his brothers Eóghan, immediately. The kids were enthusiastic around the French native and Marigold's contagious smile only encouraged them more.

"So kids, how do you ask for a drink of water?" Her accented voice flowed through the room and Lucy couldn't help but shiver. Liquid gold. Pure liquid gold. Various hands flew up into the air as the children attempted to pronounce the language.

The crunch of footsteps in the snow behind her didn't remove Lucy from her trance. Only when a male she recognised as Beta Adam nodded to her then proceeded to enter the cabin did Lucy snap out of her sneaking. He didn't know, she thought. Lucy pretended to walk off but returned to a different window, continuing her appraisal of Marigold.

Noticing her bondmate at the cabin doors, Marigold finished up her lesson. "Okay children, that's our French lesson over for today. I hope you all enjoyed yourselves."

"OUI MARIGOLD!" The children called out, marigold stifled a giggle and left the cabin with Beta Adam. He pressed a kiss to her temple and it took everything within Lucy to stop her wolf from snapping at his neck. Marigold was her  mate.

She watched with shrewd eyes as the couple made their way to the packhouse, conversing softly while Adam had a possessive hand on Marigold's waist. Without hesitation, Lucy followed. It had a full week since she had talked to her mate and her wolf demanded contact, complying with the mate bond she was eager for even a second of time alone with her mate.

Following in the shadows as stealthily as she could, she waited for her moment.

"Marigold what do you want to eat?" Adam's voice boomed through the hallway as they made their way to the kitchen. 

The she-wolf rubbed her empty tummy, "I'm starving, I could genuinely eat anything! Is there any peaches? Or fruit?"

Rummaging could be heard as the male scoured the kitchen cabinets. Coming up empty, he rubbed the back of his neck and turned to Marigold, "I'll be right back, there must be some in the other kitchen."

"If not try the storage!" Marigold called to his retreating figure. The she-wolf craving the sweetness of fruit.

Lucy quickly tidied her blue hair, her wolf urging her to look presentable for her mate and waited until Marigold tottered back into the hallway. As the petite figure came close, Lucy opened a utility closet and carefully pulled Marigold in.