Chapter 37

"Did you hear that?"

"Don't be an idiot, Garth. How could you not? It was pretty fuckin lou-"

A small growl from Eóghan showed his displeasure while he hid his confusion carefully. Eyes darting and ears perked, he knew it was Titania. But weren't they supposed to attack tonight? His thoughts were scattered as the beast enraged at the lies his Human had been fed.

"We stick to the original plan; take the warriors into groups and lay in wait for attack. We patrol until they come to Duskfall."

Brett's eyes flew to Eóghan, narrowing to focus solely on him. He could feel the rumbling begin within his chest as his wolf voiced his distaste of the plans. While not technically an Alpha anymore, his wolf knew what needed to be done to prevent spilt blood.

"I disagree; by that time Titania will be hunted down. I refuse to sit back and leave her like a lamb for slaughter. We need to attack now and get the upper hand. We know the lands and could take them by surprise."

Turning his head slowly to meet Brett, Eóghan's lip curled at the tone and accusation of his words. He took a step towards him, while three inches smaller than the Shetland male, it did not stop his wolf puffing its chest and dispelling its dominance.

Inches away from Brett's face, he growled lowly. "We. Stick. To. The. Plan."

Returning the fire, Brett responded. "The plan has changed."

Argus stood behind his Beta, arms crossed. While loyal to his pack, he agreed with Brett.

"Don't forget who's in charge here, Brett. You're treading on thin ice."

Another long howl cut the males bickering, silencing their voices as hers dominated. It echoed throughout the mountains, claiming the area to the one true Alpha: The Black Widow. The first female Alpha born of her name.

Time was running out. Titania's last call suffocated the atmosphere with torment and Brett's wolf was responding, edging the Human to act. "Then don't make me challenge you, Eóghan, cause I bloody well will. I want her safe just as much as you, especially since they've decided to attack this morning. We're underprepared and while we scramble, they will have hunted her down."

Eóghan's blank face conveyed his reluctance to budge.

"Listen to me and your head warrior."

Eóghan's gaze flickered to Argus, who nodded and dropped his arms. His wolf neck bowed. With a small growl full of exasperation and a wolf on the verge of shifting, he relented.

His mind flickered back to the events of the past. He was not an Alpha, not anymore. At the realisation that he was fighting a loosing battle against a wolf in love, he nodded to Brett and moved back into action. Unsuspecting of their attack, which was supposed to be tonight and not in the late morning, he barked commands, trying to calm his wolf who was snarling his anger at the lack of respect.

Garth rounded up those not willing to fight and gave them their orders to defend and patrol while the elderly and disabled were secured in a remote cabin. The other pack Alphas helped usher the wolves to safety but a few scowls littered their faces; some upset at the risk Duskfall had put upon their packs.

Duskfall was in a state of array; a frenzy of disorganisation. Wolves ran back to their cabins while the warriors remained; stoic statues prepared to fight.

Lucy's wolf was anxiously pacing while she waited with the other remaining wolves. Hearing her Alpha, a wolf she respected greatly, in pain had her fur bristling. The desire to sprint towards the harrowing howls was overbearing, but Lucy, knowing better, remained firm and waited for the go ahead. She was separated into the East wing, a group that would ambush from the East with a few of her warrior companions. The nine of them had blue paint across their faces and bodies. Argus matched his group, the diagonal duck egg blue a colour of his family house.