Chapter 48

Violence bred consequences. Usually, it was not the answer to life's quarrels. In such circumstances, many would advocate peace and communication with words. However, this was sadly optimistic. In a supposed world of new understanding and openness, nothing but resentment, jealousy and hostility had been showcased in the European packs against their first Alpha female. In the end, the violence they had forced upon Duskfall, was to their own demise.

The days following the brutal slaughtering of Alfonso and his Spanish followers had the once loud and opinionated wolves, silent. Titania had taken one look at the three Spaniards that had luckily been knocked out during the event and slit their throats. A relatively quick death in comparison to Alfonso and Matíus. A hunt for Nathan had turned up dry and Titania reeled with fury– her furniture taking the brunt of it. While her empty heart held no love for the male, her sense of self-worth and justice prevailed, equalling a burning desire for his head on a pike for the injustices Duskfall had suffered from his arrogance. Hushed whispers fluttered around the packs with explicit stories of how she had survived a silver knife to the heart. And the way she had torn the males apart was spared no detail as males bit their tongue, teenagers halted their bullying and mothers clutched their little ones dear.

Feral. The part of Titania that been let loose. After years of perfect and steely control, she was now a ferocious beast. While feral wolves were more often put down or hunted, Titania was a deadly combination of both. Fully functional with the strength and complete instincts of her wolf– no human barriers to its destruction.

And now they understood. Her reputation of the Mountain Widow was hearsay compared to the demon she had become. If the wolves thought she was soulless before, they had not gazed upon the newly pitch-black depths of her wolf.

With a pen in one hand and a small tick-box list in the other, Titania looked like the epitome of herself two and a half months ago. The only indicator of the internal madness was the tell-tale glimmer within her gaze and the burning temper that lay within her fur hidden from the world. Then again, many would counter that was already part of her before the shattering of her soul.

It had taken her a matter of two days to clean-up the mess her pack was left in. None too happy, her mere presence struck fear into the wolves residing on her territory, and the two offers of alliance from the French and Lithuanian Alphas was testament to what they now saw her as. An abomination that they couldn't control.

Schedule training in fifteen minutes for the adult wolves, male and female. She ordered to Angus through the packlink, gently running her finger over the small bandage covering her chest. Chase them down if you must.

Yes Alpha, he replied. Angus was ecstatic his Alpha was back, a magnificent leader he had always preached. Yet, when Eóghan had mentioned the scene of Alfonso's funeral, he couldn't help but cringe.

Titania closed her link and continued to sign the seemingly endless stream of correspondence, expenses, and invitations that had piled up on her once pristine desk. She grumbled, for why was she the only one capable of completing paperwork?

Absorbed in the monotonous task, the slow unlocking of her cabin door was nearly missed. Her ears perked and nostrils flared at the deep hues of pine and sweat. Focusing herself to continue in her task, she couldn't help the involuntary skip that took over her heart.

"Brett." She acknowledged with a curt greeting.

Brett made his way into her cabin. He eyed the woman in front of him ignoring him completely. He knew he deserved the response, if anything the guilt and distress made his fingers twitch in awkwardness. The urge to tuck tail and run was high but he swallowed and stood straight, clearing his head of the burning bond newly formed between them.