Chapter 10

A bowl full of cereal sat mockingly in front of Titania. Not a slice of meat or root vegetable to be found.

Her pack adorned similar expressions. Playing with their supermarket-bought food in wonder, for nothing tasted as fresh or traditional as an early morning plate of hunted rabbit, fish or potato. Instead, forcing a mouthful of the cardboard into her mouth, she swallowed and cursed the Elders. Her pack had made an effort to dilute their meat-based diets. So attempting to blend in with the city packs, despite their disgusted appearances, they wolfed it down. Not one word of complaint as challenges came easily to the pack and something as small as food would not best them.

Wolves conversed around her and the morning atmosphere was lively. Morning light streamed through the open plan dining room matching the heightened spirits from the barbeque the night before. Alphas were scattered with their packs and new mates were all over each other, falling into the temptation the bond gave. Titania's eyes landed on two gay couples sat on the closest table to her and she felt an empty twinge in her chest. Her mate sat tables away and ignored her, not that that was news to her.

Eating with Angus, Garth and Eóghan she rushed her cereal without thought while they barely touched their food. From the subtle glances they sent each other and still rumbling stomachs it was clear the Duskfall wolves would go on a hunt later, as this Human food was just not enough.

Garth pulled a face at the cereal in front of him, "This will take some getting used to."

"Pinch your nose then you can't taste it, does the trick." Muttered Angus who replied through mouthfuls of his third bowl.

Females responded to the rugged handsomeness of the Highlanders. The males had many sets of hungry female eyes on them, eating them instead of their breakfasts. Nodding to the female wolves to their left, Eóghan nudged his packmate who had no reverence for tableside manners.

"You're not going to attract anyone with behaviour like that. Slow down."

Angus's attention swung to the giggling she-wolves around him. He shrugged a nonchalant shoulder before looking back at Titania, "Maybe I don't need to attract. I've got all I want right here." He sent a flirtatious wink to Titania that instantly sent the mate bond, although deflated, into a frenzy.

She caught Nathan tense, as did she. Before the moment passed and the bond remained glimmering in the background. She breathed out a strangled breath and sent Angus a pointed look. To which he gave her a cheeky smile.

"Peabrain she has a mate." 

To Garth's statement, Angus spluttered on his cereal. Quickly wiping the milk that had females swooning as it dribbled down his chest, he focused his attention on Titania.

"The rogue? I thought you were joking." Her face remained stoic and she could sense Nathan listening in, "Wow, that's unexpected.... so no more late night tangos then?"

Titania rolled her eyes at him while he wiggled his bushy brows. A low warning growl sounded in the direction of her mate but she disregarded it, fixating her gaze on a cocky head warrior.

"Do I need to give you a reminder of why I dislike arrogant wolves?" 

He blushed. Pink tinting his high cheekbones. The memory of his take down wouldn't be disappearing anytime soon. "Of course not Alpha."

Garth and Eóghan couldn't help but laugh, only their Alpha could reduce the most pompous wolf in the pack to a cherry faced schoolgirl.

"Good. Be a shame to bruise your face so early in the morning."