Chapter 43

It only took Eóghan a short run after Doctor Craig's revelation to contact Brett. He couldn't help the whirring thoughts that occupied his own mind and his wolf's, especially when she was so close. After nearly spending a month and a half in the wilderness, the end was in sight; the light at the end of the theoretical tunnel. Even if Eóghan had to make choices he didn't necessarily agree to, he'd do it – for her.

Checking the sinking sun for the time, he made his way back to Titania's make-shift hospital cabin, spotting Brett's form deep in thought outside.

Brett's face was blank as the ex-Alpha made his way towards him. His stance stiffened against the wooden exterior of the cabin. While Eóghan's plan may have been simple in his own head, the expression on his companion's face did not echo such thoughts. It instead expressed concern and resistance, a turbulent mix that had creases appearing upon Brett's usually expressionless face.

As Eóghan approached, Brett motioned for him to enter first: a move done by Alphas to display dominance. A raised lip and a deep growl met Brett as Eóghan voiced his displeasure towards such a patronising move.

"You're first," the Duskfall male offered the cabin door with an exaggerated flourish, "remember where you are."

Brett's teeth fared grimly under the hard grind of his jaw. It was hard. Transitioning from an Alpha- a rank he had had since a child - to a wolf with no rank or power. But with willpower and grit, he kept his opinion to himself and walked into the cabin.

Pride was nothing compared to the woman he loved.

With determined strides, he made his way into the cabin. Apart from Doctor Craig, Brett spent the most time at Titania's bedside with Eóghan a tight third. Tensions had increased over the past few days, especially between the ex-Alpha males. As possessiveness and judgement of what was best for Titania riled them both, their wolves were at the forefront and had resulted in some violent spars between the pair.

However, somewhat used to the scene of her body patched up and attached to cables, it always caused a whine from his wolf and his own eyes to soften a touch. Not that he allowed anyone to see his broken heart.

Titania lay on her stained sheets struggling against her chains in her sleep as the skin rubbed red raw from the aggravation. It was nothing new to him after the past four days, but it still caused the air in his throat to pause while he got accustomed to the sight. It was never easy.

Eóghan followed right behind him, taking his place in front of the bed that Titania was facing. He stood straight, posturing to Brett. His wolf did not want a repeat of yesterday when Brett subtly challenged him. His charge was Duskfall and he knew Titania and the pack better than this wolf in front. While the bruises along his body spoke volumes, a testament of establishing dominance with an ex-Alpha, his stubborn Duskfall will remained. Nothing would let him falter. Not for a second- even if Brett was just like him, an ex-Alpha.

With the air heated, Brett stationed himself by one of the chairs facing the bed. A safe distance away from her jaws.

He gulped back his irritation from their exchange, "No changes?" His eyes met Eóghan's, any hint of malice gone as he kept his face neutral. "Last time I was here the Doctor said she was making some progress...her legs were scabbing over. Well, I'm sure that's what he suggested."

Brett had no authority over the doctor and only Eóghan was privy to Titania's healing records. Another tick on the growing list of Brett's brewing distaste of the male.

Eóghan checked the monitors briefly, gauging the heart rate monitor that showcased the peaks and troughs of her steady heartbeat.

"That's only half of it."