Chapter 17

Crouched low, the wolves on the offensive yellow team hid low. Awaiting the signal that informed them of the runners capturing the boar. They remained immersed in the mud, effectively wiping their scents from the crisp morning air.

"This is a waste of time," Santiago grumbled.

Lucy, who had been compared to Taylor Swift with her golden locks and fair appearance one too many times studied the complaining wolf. With a click of her tongue at the comment, she kept her eyes peeled on the trees in front. They were sub-sectioned to the side, for now, waiting for an impending attack from Alpha Brett's team.

Rubbing the swell of his nose Nathan replied, "She probably kept us to the side for a reason."

"And that reason is that you can't be trusted. You wolves are so far dominated by your Human skins that you do not realize the importance of hunts like this; this proves our strength. Exactly what you lack." 

Nathan scowled at Angus who purposely kept an eye on the Spaniards. Still angered by their complete disregard for anything other than themselves, he moved as far away as he could. Not wanting to be tainted by such weakness.

"I don't care what he says, isn't running and sparring every day training enough? How is this even relevant to anything we'll ever need?" Santiago smudged the paint and cringed, "What even is this shit! This is the last time I'm ever wearing this crap..."

"You sure about that? Yellow brings your eyes out." Diego laughed while Santiago nudged Nathan who also sported a grin.

"Why you little...."

Diego hummed, breaking the banter between the two. "This beats laps around the pack back at home, where's your sense of adventure San, live a little."

"This is living?! Shoot me please," He spluttered. "Hugo you got a gun? Surely something of the sort? This is all absolute nonsense."

Lucy's detached voice cut through the Spaniards like a knife to butter. "Will you all button it! I am sick, absolutely fucking sick with your useless whining. Shut-up and pay attention." 

"How febril." Diego purred, only causing Lucy's exasperation to increase further.

"Just how you like em'." Apollo winked at him.

"I have no idea what the fuck you just said but I suggest you refrain from speaking to me unless you want to wake up with a testicle in your mouth."

Lucy's face held a sense of emptiness but her words held a dark truth. The males studied her, noticing the change in her from when they had first met the wolf weeks prior. If the bloodshot eyes, nonchalant exterior and lack of emotion were anything to tell by it seemed as if the female in front of them had experienced a mid-life crisis at the age of nineteen. They had all known her in training and the games room as the relaxed, quizzical girl with a constant smile on her face. Even with a deep rooted grudge between the two packs, they saw Lucy as a friend and right now they didn't recognise the wolf.

"The hells wrong with you?" Diego asked.

Her once twinkling eyes simply narrowed at the males, spark long lost since her soul had been stolen and trampled on more times than one could imagine. "What's it to you." Was her curt response.

Diego raised his hands in mock surrender while Nathan's brown furrowed.

Unhappy with the lack of detail Nathan prodded further. "You think a Spongebob reference is going to throw me? We may be from different countries, chica but we're not that dense."