Chapter 29

Angus, head warrior, stood tall and steady in front of his group. 

These were the top warriors that he had been training hard and now instead of being comprised solely of Duskfall wolves, around forty percent were from the new packs. An achievement for wolves to be on a close sparring level to the mountains finest fighters. Angus, of course, was proud of them all as not all wolves could handle the harsh conditions, brutish hunt for game or the demanding terrain that came with the title.

"Warriors, we're changing patrols today." He produced a map of the territory and the new lines of the Eastern side, "This is the route, a few tweaks on the Southern cliffs and the Eastern peaks. Any questions?"

Lucy nodded her approval. She knew that the routes had been changed due to the sightings of Titania and she prayed that she could be found. The others also nodded, trusting their head warrior with their hunting routes. A shadowed figure produced a pair of binoculars and studied the map from their cabin window. While two wolves studied the new route first-hand with suspicion hard in their gaze. They glanced at each other slyly. 

Angus, oblivious to this exchanged continued, "Great, then it's settled. Now let's discuss the plans for the hunt."

The wolves cheered, hunting was a sweet relief from the gruelling hours of running and sparring. The newcomers of the group seemed quite surprised to be included, Titania had made it clear that the hunting parties were strictly for experienced wolves.

A Lithuanian male stepped forwards while Angus put the map in his kilt pocket. "The hunt is for all of us?"

Sensing their confusion, Angus clarified, "Winter is less than a week away and that means we can't rely on vegetables due to the hard ground. We need to increase our food stocks, today we are hunting the red deer and beaver population before they head south for winter." He eyed all the wolves, "not all of us can live on the artificial foods all winter, our wolves won't have it."

"Our food choices aren't that bad," the male shrugged his shoulders.

"I know our young need sustenance and E-numbers won't cut it. Don't you want to hunt Azoulas?"

The underlying taunt had Azoulas quickly zipping his lips. His older sister, Leja nudged his shoulders. "Ignore him, I swear I got all the brain cells." Azoulas scowled at his sister as she coddled him, "I can't wait to karate-chop some deer balls and have me a nice beaver bag. Splendid, splendid I can just picture it now." She had her hands in front of her as she described her hunting dreams.

Angus's lips curled at the energy of the spirited wolf. The males and females around her were used to her outbursts and never dimming sparkle she constantly wore like a cloak. This group of forty-seven had become close, after months of hard work their comradery and bonds were only getting stronger; they had earned their title.

"Do you ever shut up?" The siblings were back to bickering.

"Do you ever say anything smart?"

Angus sat back with amusement, it made a change from the doom and gloom of the past week. Titania spotted in the eastern valleys, Alpha Jared's suspicious activity in Ash Crescent and the preparations for winter had all the superiors on top alert. Even Alpha Alfonso had been given command of the fish hunts to the southern caves. It kept him quiet at least.

"Just because you're two years older doesn't make you smarter than me Leja."

She scoffed, "That's precisely why, stupid. I'll let you sit here and worry while I go and hunt like the warrior princess I've always dreamed of being." Her eyes widened, "My first hunt."