Chapter 40

*Trigger warning - Physical abuse*

A shattered mind held the darkest memories.

And Titania's mind wasn't the nicest place to dwell for an afternoon tea and biscuits; it was more of a quick greeting then a dash back out- giving the gloom no chance to cling onto you. While trapped within such a pit of trauma and malicious shadows, it was no wonder that one would surely face insanity.

Titania's mind replayed festering memories once buried. Like a record player, it jumped and skipped. Throwing her subconscious into a battle that could not be won with physical strength alone. Years worth of repression and walls had crumbled to leave Titania alone with some of her past monsters that she'd rather have kept hidden.

It was 2012, and a nineteen-year-old Titania stood in front of her mirror. A black eye and sliced lip stared right back at her, glaring purple hues marred her cream complexion. Even thick make-up didn't hide the evidence of her bondmates 'love'. This, however, was what she had grown used to; dark rings around her eyes and an injury of some sort covering her body.

The feelings hit her full force after every assault: guilt, shame, repressed anger and a diminishing fight within her. Titania knew that Quinn, the future Alpha of the Rosevelt pack, was right. She was weak. Pitiful. Disgusting. His words reverberated over and over, further lowering her levels of self-esteem: not that she had started the chosen bond with any self-love after her first bondmate.

"You stupid bitch! Can't you do anything right?"

"I wonder why I chose you in the first place: a girl with no good qualities. Well, maybe if you wore your make-up better then you'd be more attractive."

"Stop being dramatic T, it didn't hurt that much. Do you want me to show you real pain?"

"I love you, it won't happen again, I promise..."

Her mind had been mentally moulded into that of a sheep that simply took words for face value as Quinn's fist hit her over and over. His eyes shining as he drew blood. Even within her memories, Titania could feel her pain as if it had happened only yesterday.

But it wasn't exhilarating like a spar.

No, it was something much darker. A predator displaying its dominance and completely wiping the prey of any mental strength; sucking her soul as if it was a smoothie.

Brutality was all that Quinn ever showed her. First, it started as playfighting. Then it slowly got rougher; Titania not questioning or recognising the gradual escalation over the weeks. Then again, speaking back against Quinn got her a slanted glare, inherited from his father that only encouraged violence.

With a wicked grin and eyes focused solely on her, Quinn was just as malicious in her subconscious as he had once been. Clouded eyes that were full of hate. "Come on T, stop whining." He chuckled as the memory replayed behind Titania's eyes. "I know you don't mean to."

She continued to ignore him while he complained about the handful of dirty dishes in the sink while an 'Introduction to the French Vocabulary' book occupied her thoughts. A pleasant distraction from his incessant criticism.

He rounded the table towards her, cigarette lit in hand. "Ignoring me are you, sweetie?" The sickly rasp to his tone would be Titania's first tell-tale sign to his brewing irritation. Something that occurred more often than none.

With the fuse now lit, Titania would always plead with the male to diffuse the anger that seemed to be at the forefront. "No, I-I'm just reading. I'll finish the dishes after I've read this chapter, okay?"