Chapter 52

Angus, Garth and Eóghan took charge of training as Titania spent her days hovering around Brett. His admission and heightened emotions bewildered Titania but she found herself trying to distract the male from his spiraling grief; something that now seemed intrinsic to her. The loss of his close family member had hit an exposed nerve, much like a dentist rooting in a mouth without anesthetic and Tilly's passing had caused the proud Alpha male to bow down. Raw and defeated.

Titania remembered herself how hard it was to disown her own parents. Family trauma would peel away anyone's deeply laid walls to crumble until nothing was left. No matter how long they had taken to build - and she'd learnt that the hard way.

Are all the preparations ready? She asked her Beta as she finalised the food and drinks order. Not a moment later, Eóghan responded through the mindlink, Yes Alpha, a couple more hours and the wolves from Ash Crescent will be here. Border patrol have been informed and we're just finishing decorating the spar hall.

Brilliant, let me know when it's all ready. Don't forget the band. She added. Let's aim for 6pm, gives me time to drag Brett's arse out the cabin.

He sniggered, Good luck with that Alpha, he's as stubborn as you are.

The cheek. Titania cursed but smiled at the accuracy, You may have a point, hence why I need enough time to try get him to attend his own surprise party. Just make sure everything's ready on time.

Such a heart of gold, when did you become such a sap? Eóghan teased, I'm happy you're trying to cheer him up. Tilly was such a sweet wolf.

I can't have his sour mood in Duskfall. It's ruining the atmosphere. Titania avoided his suggestion as she refocused, Link me when it's done.

She had coerced Brett to train with her and Lucy in the forest, away from the preparations that were kept hidden from the Shetland male. A feat easier said than done as he fought tooth and nail to stay in his wolf form lounging on his cabin bed. Having none of it, Titania had dragged him outside by rifling his wolf - which took to the chase immediately. But even as she fought him in her wolf form, his preoccupied state made it child play. His hits lacked strength, his dodges lacked accuracy and his muscles seemed to be two steps behind, unlike the usually overbearing and focused male. It was clear that the sleepless nights had drained his will to be functional.

"And I thought I needed more practice." Lucy tutted as she motioned to Brett. Titania smacked the slouching teen over the head, "Ouch! I'm not lying though... you ran circles around him!"

Brett sighed but said nothing. Instead picking at the frozen ground underneath his fingertips. His eyes signaled that he was a thousand miles away from Duskfall.

"Haven't you learnt any manners?" Titania chided, "And no surprises there, I run circles around most, remember I'm an Alpha so me winning is no secret. Now drink up, just because we're finished in wolf form doesn't mean we're not sparring. If you want the Beta position you need to prove your worth."

"My mother taught me plenty of manners, it's you that I learned the opposite from." Titania growled at the comment as Lucy continued, "I'm not worried about the others or Garth, he acts too much like a child for a so-called adult to beat me to the title."

Titania scowled as she finished her bottle of water, "I wouldn't count him out. He was appointed my Gamma for a reason, so don't talk the talk unless you can walk the walk misses."

Lucy grumbled but got into position with her fists up. "Then let's go! I wanna smash his face into the high heavens as he begs me for mercy, the Beta position will be mine! Mwahahahaha. All mine!"