Chapter 13

Laura, Colton and a few others ran alongside their Alpha on border patrol.

On the south side, the rocks from the mountain peaks dug into the soft pads of their paws yet they continued on. Too used to the terrain to pay it any thought; as wolves on the border had to keep vigilant and distractions such as the marshy bogs, frozen land or jagged surfaces were avoided during their daily training.

For Mother Nature did not plan to change the Earths design and as wolves, they simply had to accept that these minor interferences were a part of life and as warriors, they had other, more important threats to watch out for.

Running behind their Alpha, they tore through the land. The sheer spirit coming off the wolves from the close company of their superior made them swifter, quicker, deadlier. Nearby wildlife hid in their burrows, not wanting a run in with the top predators that roamed the coniferous forests of northern Scotland. The only trace of them the pawprints they left in their wake.

Scouring the rough land the wolves kept up with Alpha Titania, showing that they too were worthy of the titles they bore. In many other packs Border control was not seen as such an important role but in this type of land, it was a case of life or death and they pushed themselves even further into Deaths clutches.

Laura howled, and the others followed. I do love these parts, she mind-linked. Nodding to the glorious overview of the deep valleys carved out the land below. A light layer of snow dusted the rolling mountains and let the light glitter off; highlighting just how picturesque the unspoiled terrain was. But with its imperial beauty came death, a slow isolated death.

Colton bumped into her, Not as stunning as the western side. The lochs can't be beaten and that's fact.

Snorting Laura couldn't help but disagree. Not everything is a competition Colton, how old are you? Five? She nudged him right back playfully, And for your information, it's the southern cliffs that are the pinnacle of these lands.

Hardly. You're biased because you live in the goddam cliffs. If you could you'd stay there your whole life and be a hermit, better yet you'd probably marry the blasted thing.

Everyone knew Laura's whole life revolved around the cliff faces and steep sides of the south. Having been brought up in isolation from her fellow wolves the majority of her younger years, it wasn't until the formation of the Duskfall pack that brought socialization to Laura, and her sisters Lucy's life. Her respect for the wildlife sunk deep into her soul and it was no surprise to anyone when she readily trained to be able to patrol the very land she so desperately loved.

At least then it wouldn't annoy me every two seconds. Marrying a cliff sounds like a brilliant idea; no arguing, no chat back and best of all, it will always love me. Forget the mate, nature's the way forward for me, she teased.

Colton, Kirk, and Fredrik all chuckled at her very Laura-like response. No one could rival her love for the land.

Kirk ran alongside Laura. His midnight black coat a contrast to the snow grazed land, Don't think your mate will be too happy sharing you with a cliff.

He can dam right deal with it. She exclaimed, the mention of a mate still, at the mature age of twenty-two sent a wave of nervousness through her form. Laura had lost hope at the thought of a mate but pushing her legs forward she didn't dwell. If not then he can find someone else.

Someone else who isn't obsessed with the land as you? Or someone who has all the screws tightly bolted in their head?

Laura snapped at Fredrik who simply sent her a cheeky smile and dodged out her way.