Chapter 28

As a tight knit community, Duskfall felt the tension from their leaders. 

The next couple of days saw watchful eyes on both Eóghan and Garth as they marched around the land, got involved in every group of wolves, young or old, Scottish or European, they ensured that they knew the complete ins and outs of the packs. Meanwhile Athdara and Lucy conversed casually without the rank, eyes keen for the rat within their midst's.

Knowing what her role was, Athdara was determined to prove her worth. Lucy, Garth and Eóghan would look suspicious joining in the more domestic, but necessary Duskfall tasks but she blended in making her the perfect candidate to snoop. Working in the kitchen, skinning animals and joining in the female hunts, let her investigate amongst the females. Females were just as cunning. 

While her efforts left her dejected, she returned to her sanctuary in her overcrowded office and began doing what she did best; using her brain to piece together any links. Trying her hardest not to ruin her own intentions in the process.

Lucy, however had other means of unearthing the mole. Starting with suspicious males- from the Spanish packs in particular, she beat them consistently in spars, taking out not just her frustration but her wolf's yearning for their mate. Distraction was key and fighting and following males until she was certain they weren't reporting back to Alpha Jared was the best distraction she could think of. It beat moping in bed and as Titania always said; no matter your circumstances, the pack always came first.

~~~~~

A tense Eóghan made his way to one of his old hunting lodges. Duskfall was still demanding an execution but as the stakes were now higher, a desperate Beta wolf had no choice but to reach for what he thought was his only hope.

It was eleven o' clock, sun shining through the crisp air. No flowers bloomed and the earth was hardening, Mother nature was quickening the pace of the chase.

Three knocks to cabin door with no answer had Eóghan disappointed. He thought that Nathan would be up, and secretly he compared Titania's downfall to Nathan's. It took her months to let the darkness claim her and that was not by choice, while Nathan simply went belly up as soon as the heartbreak hit him. A few week and no improvement. Definitely not a mountain wolf,  he thought while knocking louder.

"Get up Nathan."

No response had him rattling the door so hard that the screws jittered, "I'm here the same time every few days. There's no excuse so get up."

A groan emitted from inside, "Not today... go away."

This was the routine everytine Eóghan decided to try with Nathan, a decision he was starting to regret. The rogue would've been long dead if he wasn't Titania's mate, but that reasoning was slipping as Eóghan's wolf growled. Unhappy with Human for letting still breathe. His wolf's agitation was seeping through as his fists clenched and eyes burned through the door.

"I'm not leaving, either you open this bloody door or I'll break it myself and sock you so hard you'll be singing flower of fucking Scotland."

His tone conveyed his seriousness as Nathan wearily made his way to the door. Upon seeing the Betas stern expression and rigid stance, he didn't argue and simply let him enter the cabin. "I didn't ask you to train me." He huffed.

Eóghan inspected the disarray of the place, not impressed. "Tough luck. Get changed and we'll begin."

Nathan muttered under his breath as he went to grab some clothes. He didn't expect Eóghan to understand how he could barely get out of bed in the mornings. That morning, however, too depressed to go hunt he did receive a dead stag by his backdoor, from scenting it and the painful twinge inside, he knew Titania had left it for him. A nice change seeing as eating didn't feel like a necessity to him anymore but the action left him even more confused.