Chapter 46

"Well," Brett began, unsure where to start. "Let's just say the packs think Duskfall is theirs."

Titania's eyes stormed at the words. "Theirs?"

"You've been feral for a month and healing for another. Some wolves have become restless and grown a backbone. You can imagine who."

"A backbone?" she snorted. "Well, that's a joke. They think they can take my pack?! Let me at them... let me show them what's theirs – a dickless future, that's what they deserve... the lil' fucking- " Brett was quick to set her back in the bed as she attempted to detach herself from the multiple wires.

"Okay, hold up! Going after their dicks isn't important right now. You staying in here recovering is."

His stern words hit her hard for an unknown reason– his eyes displaying his internal frenzy at her actions. She calmed but her darkening arctic eyes revealed her intent to kill – her wolf's murderous instincts kicking in hard.

"What about Eóghan?"

"What about him?" Brett half growled lowly, his eyes subtly narrowing.

Regarding his reaction, she observed him silently for a moment, trying to piece his behaviour together. According to Brett, she had been absent for nearly a full two months and with five foreign Alphas on her land, it was a long time to be out of action. With that, came a lot of unknowns.

Her analysing gaze had Brett on edge. "What?" he asked; a slight pink tinge decorating the harsh contours of his face.

She rolled her eyes, ignoring the green sin that coated his last words and once again focused on business. That's how she always operated. Easy and practical.

"Are the wolves that are disobeying Duskfall's orders in the cells? I know Eóghan and Garth would deal with that in my... unforeseen absence," she questioned.

Brett caught the anger he held for Duskfall's leadership in his throat as he composed himself. Of course he was enraged with the leadership adopted by the so-called 'ex-Alpha' but who was he to comment? He was a Duskfall wolf now and had to respect the wolves that were now above him.

"It wasn't as easy as that," was the response he could come up with. Defeated he continued, "Uh, Eóghan has done the best he can considering..."

"Considering what?"

Her sharp tone left no room for lies or false pretences. Titania demanded answers and answers she would get. While her head ached from the sheer amount of thinking that she as doing, it didn't take away from the fact that Duskfall was her home. One built from blood, sweat, tears and steely will. A legacy that was hers and hers alone.

"Brett don't look away. If there's something I should know, then tell me. This is my pack and I won't take bullshit as an answer."

Brett leaned back in the stiff plastic chair and looked Titania over. She didn't look ill, not in any way shape or form. She sat, even with a migraine, alert, ready and asking the hard questions. If Brett were in her position, he'd surely be asking for another hour of sleep and medication.

Relenting and deciding she was fit for the information, he told her everything: from the lack of leadership to the packs slowly turning on Duskfall due to her rescue and Nathan and Athdara's place in the cells, all while Titania kept a straight face. All emotion filtered through her eyes at the blatant disrespect and betrayal from the wolves she had taken in. As he finished, her eyes were an inferno that promised pain.

"I'm not in this pack for... not even a month and a half and this is the result? Useless males and their macho fuckin shit..." she mumbled the last part as both of her hands palmed her forehead. "Get me out this bed, I'm gonna kill them."