Chapter 32

Brett cursed as the delayed ferry added four hours to his journey. By the time he finally arrived to mainland Scotland he still had a 9 hour run to Duskfall pack lands. His wolf pushed forward, desperate to take Mother natures harsh chill head on, but he had to force his body to stop. Winter was nothing to laugh at so precaution was needed and despite his boiling anger towards the Rosevelt members who chose to cross Ash Crescent, he still had to use his head, no matter how emotional he was. 

Eóghan greeted a ragged Brett on the 16th of December, two days after his expected arrival. One look at the Alpha male told Eóghan that he'd done everything in his power to persevere through the snow, cold and mist, conditions which did not give for a good nights sleep.

He extended his arm to Brett, thankful for his presence during the turbulence of the past month. "Alpha, I'm glad you could make it."

"Not an Alpha any longer." Brett tried to joke but his voice came out strained, Eóghan commended the wolf who stood in front of him; he was a worthy ally of Duskfall.

Brett grabbed the hand and rather than shaking his hand, he pulled Eóghan into a side hug. "It's good to see you, apologies for the delay. The ferry couldn't travel until nightfall so I got stranded, I probably could've swam here quicker."

While rigid into the sudden embrace, Eóghan patted the males back. He was grateful for the support as the past couple of days had seen revolt within Duskfall and the Beta male was sure he had bald patches from running his hands through his hair so often.

"You're here now which is all that matters." He retracted from Brett, who's worn face said it all, "Come, I'll show you to your cabin."

The males trudged forwards, Brett following Eóghan through the coniferous woodlands surrounding Duskfall. After discussing the events of the past few weeks, Brett listened intently but couldn't help the tiredness that littered every muscle in his body, he got away with a few single word responses but Eóghan could sense the hulking mass needed some sleep. Luckily they passed the patrol wolves, who dipped their heads in respect before cabins lined Brett's line of sight. While Eóghan lead him to one shared among the Beta's to the East, Brett couldn't help but let his gaze drift to a very familiar cabin. 

It loomed in isolation but its two floor structure showed its basic but grandeur appearance. He stopped. Memories of the ball celebration not even three months prior flickered through his head. The champagne. The Moon. The Happiness. Her.

Titania's cabin looked right back at him, silently mocking him. 

"It's wise not to go in there." Eóghan admired the cabin but stood firm. "You can stay in my lodge since I sometimes sleep in the office... when I actually get any sleep." 

Brett gave him a tired smile. There was no point in arguing. Fruitless in the current situation of war, pack politics and death. Before leaving Ash Crescent he had already lost a wolf to the cold. He shivered at the thought of leaving his birth right of the Shetland islands behind but scolded himself for dwelling on the guilt; he was finally doing something for himself. Ash Crescent was in good hands and Brett was of more use here, well... that's what he kept telling himself.

"Training is at 5pm, I'll see you in a few hours when you're rested." Eóghan kept a hard exterior in front of the established male, after staying up late to scout Titania in the Eastern forests with no luck, he was also shattered. But he refused to sleep. Not until his Alpha returned safely. 

Duskfall grounds were filled with sparring wolves and those who were not training were being briefed on borders, roasting vegetables or shielding the children from the brunt of the impending violence.