Chapter 18

The following days took on a similar rhythm. Titania continued to aid Lucy in her struggle; which continually down spiraled. After finding her collapsed by her bed, knife wounds red and raw against her skin, Titania pushed her harder, almost like a mentor. She did not let the she-wolf out her sight and made sure she was not left alone again. 

Watching the teenager slowly deteriorate was not happening in Titania's hands, not her pack, not her blood.

Alpha Brett and the accompanying wolves had left, leaving the six packs remaining to go back to their previous routines. He had, discovering Titania's anguish throughout the nights, promised her he'd return. Not that she gave him any indication she was considering his request. With a tight nod, she had wished him a safe journey, knowing that the trek to his homelands was perilous at best. 

To him, that was enough, for crowding the female wolf was not what she wanted or required. She was a proud woman and him staying beside her side would only undermine her strength, something that the wilder wolves held above all else.

Without anything other than intent exposed openly in his eyes, he left her. Hoping that upon his return she'd have an answer to his proposition and have overcome the struggle she was suffering within. He had Eóghan's number to update him on the comings and goings, knowing full well of Titania's constant habit of putting herself last; he had to keep an inside eye on her or he'd surely go mad.

With Brett's absence, Lucy was quick to fill the empty space. So she now resided in Titania's cabin, Titania not having any choice unless she wanted to lose the once spirited wolf. Which she nearly had once. Once too many.

"Fucking hate unpacking." Lucy kicked a box, frustrated at the hours she'd already put in trying to move her belongings from her family cave in the south. "Urg!"

Titania raised an eyebrow as the teenager stomped around. At the amusing visual, Titania stifled a small smile. Lucy was slowly but surely growing on Titania. Her presence did not irritate her- like others did- instead, she knew the rejection made them more similar than she'd like to admit aloud.

"If you keep throwing tantrums move upstairs. I'm trying to work."

Lucy glared at her Alpha. Kicking another box just for show. "I thought you were already finished, can't the pack crap wait? You'd think with all the writing you do that you actually enjoyed doing it."

Titania sighed and signed her name on another document. Flicking through to another spreadsheet of the Duskfall pack's finances. Not lifting her eyes to the teenager she remarked casually, "The numbers don't do themselves and I don't see you helping Lucy." 

"I've got these bloody boxes to unpack! I'd rather be doing paperwork than this!"

At Lucy's expression, Titania deadpanned, "I am not unpacking your stuff for you." Lucy huffed and gave her a look that could easily melt hearts. Unaffected, Titania shrugged, "Don't get lazy. Do it yourself then you can help me with this, I still have the education side to handle."

Before the young wolf could protest Titania cut in. Voice hard and cold yet oddly heartfelt towards Lucy, not that the female could tell. 

"My place, my rules. You made that decision when you agreed to move in." 

Lucy just scowled and grumbled incoherently. Irritated that her superior was right but not in the mood to agree. "Whatever."  

Both females worked side by side. Titania sifting through documentation while Lucy grumpily unpacked her belongings. Lucy was internally grateful for Titania's aiding hand. She refused for her family to see what she had become; embarrassed, she had told them she was training with the Alpha and while her sister remained suspicious, she could sense the disparity between her words and let her go. Her Mother was ecstatic of such an opportunity and helped her pack, unaware of her torment within.