Chapter 35

Lucy waited patiently as crisp snowflakes fell from the heavens; the origins of their descent growing darker as a storm brewed.

She leaned against Marigold's cabin as she heard the females inside. All she could hear were soft murmurs accompanied by Marigold's sobs and hiccups. An hour had passed and her mate was still in hysterics. Having enough of it, Lucy finally knocked at the cabin door and was disappointed when one of Marigold's friends answered and looked at her with revulsion.

Not even attempting to hide the disgust from her tone, the woman cocked her head and put a hand on her hip. "What are you doing here?"

Lucy's wolf growled but Lucy refused to bite. Swallowing down the anger, she simply stared back at the female, unamused.

"I'm here to see Marigold," she replied, noticing that the wolves inside the cabin had quietened.

Lorelle, the woman who stood in front of Lucy, turned her nose up at the girl. She had seen how distraught her friend had been; stuck back and forth between two people and to top it all off her mate was female! In her world, that was not right.

"She doesn't want to see you. Haven't you done enough? When will you leave her alone!" Her voice had risen a few octaves as she let the full force of her wolf shine through her eyes.

Lucy's wolf responded immediately with a dangerous glow and the extension of her claws, which were still speckled with Adam's blood, as she shoved her power down the female's mouth. She had been rejected and fought for her female and now this woman dared to speak ill of her; as if her manicured nails had seen a day of hard labour in its lifetime.

Before Lucy could push past the ignorant female, Marigold's voice piped up from the back of the cabin. "Let her in, Lorelle."

Lorelle gasped before quipping back, "But Mari, you don't need to talk to her."

"Thank you for everything you have all done for me, but I can handle it from here," Lorelle looked at her with disbelief, her body still obscuring Lucy's view. "But-"

"I'll be fine, you all should leave." Lorelle sighed as Marigold's friends left the cabin as they all sent mixed looks to the blue-haired teen whose aura was nothing less of impatience. Lorelle left last with a tight grip of her hand around Lucy's shoulder and some angry last words to part.

"If you hurt her, and I mean in any way, then you'll have me to deal with."

Lucy ripped the pointed, acrylic nails off of her skin, which drove the darkness wild and pulled the female in close; her teeth grazed the shell of the pompous wolf's ear.

"I'd kill you and mutilate the corpse before you could even lay a claw on me."

Mortified, Lorelle pulled back and coughed; the rage burning within the hazel of her irises. A retort was hot on her lips, but with a sadistic grin, Lucy couldn't help herself, "Better watch your back, the snow can hide a body for years. Not as if anybody would miss you in the first place."

"Just you wait, you little bitch. I'll wipe that smile right off your face. You think you're all that?" Lorelle gestured to Lucy's body, "Girls shouldn't be mated to other girls. You're a cancer, a leech!"

She pushed Lucy to the side as she stomped off in her Ugg boots; a horrid choice for the terrain. Pondering her words but not dwelling on them, Lucy entered the cabin. The sweet scent of her mate enticed her forwards. Closing the door and taking her shoes off, which she placed right beside Marigold's; she ventured into the living area spotting her mate sprawled across one of the cabins couches.

Marigold saw her mate and straightened herself, rubbing the wetness from her eyes. The fire blazed and set a dimness across the room; the shadows dancing on every surface. Despite the lighting, Lucy could still see the anguish carved on her mate's features. Marigold attempted to hide them but she was an open book; every word inked and in bold for Lucy to see.