Chapter 22

It took the four males mere minutes to follow the lingering scent of fear. Which, undoubtedly, led them to a still shivering Nathan. The male didn't acknowledge the scowls directed his way and instead kept his eyes locked on the spot in front, a haunted and desolate look glazed his eyes.

Bleak. Bare. Broken.

Angus didn't hesitate to storm in, face red and chest puffed, "What were you thinking!?" 

He sent a sharp kick to Nathan who wheezed. "What on earth were you thinking when you threw everything you had destined out the fucking window??" 

At the silence, he continued, "What, not man enough for our Alpha? Is that it?! Just some piss poor attempt to keep some sort of masculinity? Well congratulations, you've not just destroyed your soulmate but also our pack!"

He motioned to the postured males behind. Resentment, pure, thick and intimidating hung heavily in the room. Like a snake, it coiled around the once rogue male but his expression was elsewhere. His mind tumbling, head first, down the metaphorical rabbit hole. 

Garth, hungry for vengeance with the injustice against his Alpha, a woman who had not just aided him alongside his very first shift but had shaped him from a hellion to the young man he now was sent Nathan sprawling. The image of Titania's rabid beast assaulting his mind. While the males spat, hit and abused Nathan; he remained stock still, taking the beating while maintaining the utterly empty look in his hazel mist. 

"Filthy rogue, we should've disposed of you like the rest of your pathetic group." 

Nathan turned to an enraged Garth but said nothing and remained as such while the three males took turns exchanging fists, kicks, and claws. All the while Eóghan stood stoically by the door, a quick wipe of the eyes took the only evidence of the loss of the very female who saved his life many moons ago.

"Olig hold him down..... "

A punch to his jaw, Garth could only see red, "Scum. A fucking slimy piece of nothing. A mallachd to this pack. You deserve so much more than this for ruining everything we've taken years to build. The lives you've taken will never, ever be replaced, you've fucked every pack here!"

What made the males pause from their merciless beating was the sound of sniffling which swiftly but surely turned to full-blown sobs. Not your average cry, however. A rather soul-destroying wail. The males, at that very moment, witnessed another heart crack, crumble and fall apart. Nathan now felt the full effect of the severed bond and it caused his wolf to dissasociate within. How the darkness twisted and stabbed at his insides, the absence of life inside apart from the heartbeat that reverberated within his hollowed out chest. He cried not just for what his actions had caused, but he cried for the dimmed light that had been extinguished by the loss of his soulmate.

Upon hearing the heart-wrenching sobs and watching the once-proud male collapse into himself, the males gave each other a look before taking a few sharp steps back for even the wild wolves understood the primality of Nathan at this moment in time. A wide berth separated the males; harsh looks clashing with utter despair. All while Nathan rocked himself, eyes bloodshot and brimmed with newly discovered pain.

"So this was w-what she felt.... all this time." He mumbled.

The heavy scent of darkness and depression made the males take another step back, the smell foul to their sensitive noses.

"Stop it! This is what you get for confusing Alpha Titania around for the past few months and this," Eóghan pointed to the sorry excuse of the male on the floor, "is what she's been feeling since the very beginning but you were too idiotic to truly see."