Feeling Unwelcomed

The day of the service came. I didn't know if I should go. Especially with the twins. I didn't want to cause problems. Seth convinced me to go. So we got dressed and got the twins dressed. We pulled up to the cemetery and walked over to be seated. Eyes were on us. I hated it, I became anxious. Seth took noticed. "Baby, it's okay."

"People are staring at us." I said to him.

"Let them." He only said.

I had Damien in my arms and he had Christian. We sat down and Sophia's mom looked at me. I saw her walk towards me. I got nervous. She gave me a soft, sad smile. "You made it."

I smiled back. "Of course. She was my best friend."

"I am glad you are here." Then she noticed the boys. "Is this them?"

"Uh, yeah." I told her nervously.

She bent down and looked at both of the boys. "They are beautiful."

"They are. Sophia gave us a wonderful gift." I said, sadly.

"She did." She said with a smile.

Then I introduced Seth. "Uh, Alexis, this is my husband, Seth. Seth, this is Sophia's mom, Alexis."

Alexis held out her hand to Seth and said, "It's a pleasure to met you. Sophia always had wonderful things to say about you."

Seth took her hand. "The pleasure is mine, Alexis. You have no clue how grateful I am to your daughter for what she did for us."

"I have an idea. I know Sophia is happy for the two of you." She said, sweetly.

Just then I saw Kyle, he noticed us and was storming over to us. I got really nervous. He walked up to us and demanded, "What in the hell are you doing here?"

Alexis quickly went to calm him. "Kyle, don't do this now. You know Sophia would want her here."

"But she isn't here to make that decision, now is she?" Kyle said to her angrily. "I don't want her here."

I was upset by this. I went to get up and said, softly, "I don't want to cause no trouble."

"No!" Alexis said to me. "You have every right to be here." Then she looked at Kyle. "She and her family are staying and you will not say another word about it. Do you understand me?"

Kyle looked at her angrily and then walked away without another word. Alexis breathed out, "Don't worry about him. He is just angry. I understand. Sophia was taken from us too soon. What happened to her was not your fault."

"But he blames me." I said, softly.

"Only cause he doesn't want to blame her. She was reckless. He blames you cause you were the one she was texting when she got in the accident." She informed me.

I was shocked to hear this. "What? I thought some idiot hit her."

"Who told you that?" Alexis seemed confused.

I just looked away as I didn't know what really happened. A few tears fell from my eyes and I did feel like I was the one to blame as she was texting me. I was consumed by guilt. I was so confused. "My phone was off and she knew it so why would she texted me."

"Well, I know she was on her way back from a doctor's appointment. Might have been why." She said. "But she knew better, Mary. You had no fault in this."

I sobbed, "No, cause if I had my phone on, she would have called me. I know that. She texted me to update me cause I didn't have my phone on. This is my fault."