Things Only Get Worse

Seth's POV

Mary and I made up a few more times. I stayed another hour with her then had to go . She didn't want me to go but the kids were at my sister's. But she understood but I told her I would come back with the kids the following day and spend time with her. Once in I left, I drove home as I was happy. Mary and I were moving forward. I got back to Rachael's and walked in quietly as I knew everyone would be sleeping. I walked to the living room and took off my shoes. Then I heard Rachael's voice, "So, you just went to go help her out. How did that take four hours."

I exhaled in annoyance and rolled my eyes. "Don't start, Rachael."

"So, did she reel you back in, not like it would take much to do?" She asked me, angrily.

"Stop, Rachael." I warned her.

She walked in and walked closer to me. "How stupid could you be, Seth?"

I got angry at her at and looked at her. "Look, what I decided to do for me is none of your damn business. If I want to go back to Mary, let me. But stop acting like you know what is best for me. I know what my heart wants and it's Mary. I fucked up and so did she. You think I failed to realized that she fucked up a little more then I did, I do. But I love her and all I care about is repairing this family. You may not get it or like it but you have to remember, it's my life."

She stood there a little shocked, then pressed her lips together. Then she said, more calm, "Seth, I just worry about you."

"Well, don't." I breathed. "I know Mary cheated on me and I know I should be angry with her, but I'm not. I can't explain it to you no matter how much I try. Just know that after tonight, I am happy again. That is what should matter, not this other bullshit. I love Mary and I know deep down that she wouldn't do anything like that again. You have to trust me on this. You have to trust that I am doing the right thing."

She sighed and nodded. "Okay, I get it. I'm sorry." Then she walked over to me. "So, are you two back together?"

"We are working on it. I am going to stay over there after I drop this kids off so we can talk more about it." I just told her.

"So what happened tonight?" She asked. "I mean, why did she need you?"

I gave her the short version. "Apparently, she tried to break it off with Brad, he got angry and hit her. Then left her, stranded. I picked her up and that is when we talked."

"Talked?" She hitched an eyebrow and smiled.

I just chuckled. "We did some talking, I promise."

She laughed. "Okay, then. Well, I will let you get some sleep, as you apparently had a long night." She said with a grin. "And you have a big day tomorrow."

I smiled at her. "Night, Rachael."

"Night, Seth." She said as she walked out.

I laid down on the couch and looked at the ceiling. I kept thinking about how the night went. It was crazy but now we were taking steps to being back together. I couldn't wait to go back over there the next day. I knew it would feel like the old days. Having the kids run around, her in my arms, being in love and loving my life. I was ready to go back to that. Finally.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was at home and I knew Seth would be bring the kids home soon. I didn't have the energy to really dress, so I just put on my underwear and one of Seth's shirts that was still here. He would be back here and I honestly was excited to see him again. I hated he had to go the night before as I missed sleeping next to him. After I agreed to go back to him and try to make it work, I didn't want him to leave the bed with me. But he had to get back to our kids. I felt so alone after he left. I was ready to have him home, I was hoping that would be the next step. Just then the doorbell rang. I got excited for a moment, then remembered that Seth doesn't ring the doorbell, he just walks in. So, I was confused now as I wasn't expecting anyone. I got up and walked to the door. I opened it and Brad stood on the other side. I looked at him, angrily, and asked, "What the fuck do you want?"