2 - 2

Year 2
The Chamber of Secrets

"Look everyone, Weasley's got himself a howler."

_____

The feast, like always, was big and brilliant. Piles of food in the middle of the table set Crabbe and Goyle in a fit of excitement as their roaming eyes caused their mouth to water. The group of five was turned into a group of six when Blaise Zabini joined them on the Slytherin table in the hall.

"Welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, or welcome back," Dumbledore's voice echoed around the busy hall, silencing the whole room, "I hope this year reaches all of your expectations and you make it memorable. And let's all welcome our new defence against the dark arts teacher, Mr Gilderoy Lockhart."

The room burst into cheers as the proud looking man stood up to absorb the attention. Dumbledore then dismissed their attention so they could eat.

"Out of all the people who could have taught us Defence Against the Dark Arts it had to be Lockhart." Y/n scoffed, looking disgusted.

"Well I think he's rather dreamy." Pansy said, obviously brain washed by his fake charm.

"I think he's a crook, it's rumoured that had didn't do any of the things in his books." Draco stepped in, "And I believe it."

"Me too, there's something about him. Most great wizards are very humble about their achievements but he isn't." Y/n said, watching the man on the teachers table.

Draco nodded in agreement.

---

"Herbology is such a time waster." Draco complained as him and Y/n entered the big greenhouse with the rest of the class.

"We need the things they grow to make potions and medicine. Personally, I find it extraordinary." Y/n said to Draco who looked bored just by her answer.

A short woman with grey hair was quick to be at the front of the room, Madam Sprout Y/n remembered her as. Head of Hufflepuff house. She was quite a round character who wore the stereotypical clothes of a gardener. Yet also very cheerful.

"Good Morning, and welcome to greenhouse three second years. Now gather round everyone." She said causing everyone to stand at their two pots on the table, "Today we are going to repot Mandrakes, now who can tell me the properties of a Mandrake root."

Everyone looked at each other before one person's hand shot up. Obviously only Hermione knew.

"Mandrake or Mandragora is used to return those who've been petrified to their original state," she explains, "It's also quite dangerous, the Mandrakes cry is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Excellent, 10 points to Gryffindor." Madam Sprout beamed happily.

Y/n rolled her eyes, last year Hermione didn't seem to bother her that much. But now she has returned, she found her extremely irritating. Possibly because her understanding of muggle born wizards had changed over the summer.

"Because our Mandrakes are still only seedlings their cries won't kill you yet, but they could knock you out for several hours which is why I have given each of you a pair of earmuffs for auditory protection," She explained pointing the earmuffs that were placed on the table in front, everyone was quick to put a pair on.

"Now watch me closely, you grasp your Mandrake firmly. You pull it quickly out of the pot," The plant let out a squeal that was irritating to the eardrums, causing everyone to clamp their hands on their ears, "and now put it down into the other pot and sprinkle some soil on it to keep it warm."

A loud crash could be heard from the other side of the room, Neville was on the floor, knocked out from fainting. Y/n and Draco laughed to themselves receiving a dirty look off the mud blood herself. Madam Sprout instructed to leave him on the floor and told everyone to grab their pots.

"And pull it up." She shouted, causing everyone's hands to drag the plant out of the pot.

The shriek was ear piercing causing y/n to immediately put her Mandrake into the pot, and covering it to shut it up. Next to her however Draco was teasing his Mandrake by tickling its belly, then under its chin. Stupidly Draco stuck his finger into the plants crying mouth. His face changed to pain as he pulled his finger away from the mouth and fiercely throwing it into the pot with an angry expression.

"What a good Mandrake." Y/n talked to the pot in a baby voice just to annoy Malfoy and the glare he sent back showed that y/n had succeeded and continued to laugh at him.

The children made their way back to the great hall to have their lunch, being in a greenhouse with all the exotic berries made y/n build up an appetite. She grinned happily at the food in front of her but a voice pulled her attention away from it.

"Look everyone, Weasley's got himself a howler." Seamus Finnigan, a Gryffindor called out.

Y/n and Draco shared a satisfied smirk before turning to look at Ron who was nervously undoing the envelope.

"RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER'S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK AND IT'S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE WE'LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!" It screamed before turning to the youngest Weasley, "Oh, and Ginny dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud"

It blew a violent raspberry at Ron and ripped its self-up. Ron looked Horrified as Y/n, Crabbe, Goyle and Draco were putting in no effort to hold back their laughter, the whole hall knew they were nearly crying at the scene that has just unfolded.

"How shameful." Y/n continued to laugh as Pansy gave her a strange look, "Don't hold in your thoughts Pansy, explain what has you confused."

"Its nothing really, I've just noticed that you've changed a lot over the summer." Pansy said pointing out her change in attitude.

"Is that a problem?" Y/n questioned frowning.

"No not at all," Pansy said honestly, "I'm just not used to it yet."

"I think it's brilliant," Draco butted in, "At least we know y/n isn't a blood traitor like the Weasleys, she actually has sense."

Y/n laughed along taking it as a complement. It was clear that the girl was changing into the Slytherin she had been raised and expected to be.