4 - 14

Year 4
The Goblet of Fire

"Pansy, of course I'm not happy. I never wanted you and Draco to be unhappy."

~~~

Hogwarts was gloomy on the last day of term. Cedric's death had an effect on everybody and not just his friends. Everyone was gathered for the end of term feast yet it wasn't like every other feast. It was quiet and miserable. Not a single smile was cracked. Even Dumbledore was saddened by the loss that had happened. Usually he would give a jolly speech at the beginning of every feast, but he remained seated.

"Today we acknowledge a really terrible loss. Cedric Diggory was, as you all know, exceptionally hard working, infinitely fair minded and most importantly a fierce, fierce friend. Now, I think, therefore, you should have the right to know how he died. You see, Cedric Diggory was murdered, by Lord Voldemort." Dumbledore announced, making a few people gasp. But Y/n just looked down, merely flinching at the fact. "The Ministry of Magic wishes that I do not tell you this. But not to do so would be an insult to his memory. Now the pain we all feel at this dreadful loss reminds me, and reminds us, that while we may come from different places and speak in different tongues our heart beats as one."

Dumbledore then let everyone eat, they did so rather in silence or with half-hearted conversations. Everyone was coming to the realisation that Hogwarts will be different from here and out. And the wizarding world was no longer safe.

Y/n went up to pack her trunk, folding up her robed and placing them neatly inside. She knew her mother and father would have a lot of questions to ask when she got home, and right now she wasn't sure if they shared an opinion with Dumbledore, or with the Ministry.

A loud knock on the door broke her concentration, it wasn't who she expected it to be. Hermione had somehow broken into the Slytherin dorm, and was smiling lightly at her.

"Hey, how did you get in?" Y/n said, her voice still friendly.

"Surprisingly, Malfoy let me in, his bad moods and rudeness seems to be put on hold by some sort of issue, he looks rather troubled" Hermione sat on Y/n's bed, " Anyway, I thought I would come keep you company. It's not the best time for anyone to be solitary."

"I appreciate it," Y/n smiled, "But I hope you realise that everything is going to be different, If You-Know-Who is really back, Muggle Borns are no longer safe."

"Yes," She sighed, "But that isn't going to stop me from carrying on as normal, or as close to normal I can get."

"Good, at least someone is staying positive," Y/n was happy with Hermione's comment.

The last few weeks have been a huge downer on her and everyone's fourth year at Hogwarts. She needed some positive energy like Hermione's to keep her spirits high. Even if everyone is secretly awaiting the day of war.

Y/n slammed her case shut and picked up Pippin and the cage. Hermione stood up and lead the way through the door and outside. Most people were returning from saying goodbye to the other schools. Y/n didn't feel the need. She didn't really experience a friendship with any of them.

---

The train ride was silent in the Slytherin compartment. Pansy was still no where to be seen so that was half the reason why it was quiet. Only thing that people could hear was the wheels going along the tracks. The only dirfference this time, it was quiet because of sadness, not awkwardness.

"I'm going to get a pumkin pasty, does anyone want one?" Y/n asked, stading up.

"No thank you." Draco said, and the others just shook their head.

Y/n nodded her head and slid open the carridge door. She made her way down the wobbly train, hunting for the trolly of treats. Until she was unexpectedly pulled sidways and crashed to the floor. The door was locked and Y/n sat up. Pansy was stood over her, looking as miserable as ever.

"Pansy, what on earth are you doing?" Y/n stood up, brushing off her skirt.

"I hope you're very happy Y/n," Pansy began to sob, "Draco broke up with me."

Pansy slumped herself down on a seat, sobbing with her head in her hands. Y/n was quick to sit next to her and rub her back comfortingly.

"Pansy, of course I'm not happy. I never wanted you and Draco to be unhappy." She reasured the girl who continued to be distraught.

"Y/n you don't understand. It's never been me who Draco has wanted," She sniffed, "Didn't he tell you why we broke up?"

"No he didn't but i wasn't going to bug him about it either. I respect that you guys want to keep your relatonship to yourselves." Y/n was trying to hide her curiosity.

Of course she wanted to know why they broke up. But at this moment of time, it was better to look like a good friend, that a jealous one. Plus eventhough Pansy had been quite a nightmare over the year, she hopefully will come to her senses.

"Well I'll tell you then," Pansy rubed her eyes, "Me and Draco were making out one night in the common room, no one was around so we were free to do whatever we wanted. Of course we took the oppourintiy to kiss a little. But anyway, it got a little heated and he sort of breathed out a name. I was shocked to find out it wasn't me he was thinking of at that intimate moment. It was your name he spoke. He moaned out 'Y/n'."

Y/n didn't know what to say. She felt her heart do little back flips in her chest and she had to force her smile down. Through her teeth clenching her automatically curling lip, she tried to console Pansy.

"Come on Pans, let's go back to the Slytherin carridge. You may feel better after seeing everyone." Y/n said trying to stand her up.

"No, my parents are sending our house elf to apperate me off the train. I'll see you next year, when everyone's head is clearer." Pansy said, walking Y/n to the door. "Until next year Y/n."

"Until next year, Pansy." And she shut the sliding door.

And Y/n made her way back to where her friends were waiting, forgetting all about her food, so she could spend her few final moments with them, until they return next year.