Chapter 8

Rachel’s POV

I had gotten a lot done last night when I came home after talking with Benjamin at the tattoo shop. I edited some more songs, successfully made myself a beautiful steak dinner, and had an hour talk on Skype with my parents. All night I kept thinking about Alex and our conversations, he just made me really happy, almost as if I had known him for years, even though we just started talking literally a few days ago. I had to admit that my rides to and from work could probably be the best part of my days because I’d see him and talk with him. 

I boarded the train with literally seconds to spare after stopping at Mcdonalds on the way for a quick breakfast. We rolled up to the next stop and the doors opened, revealing Alex standing right in front waiting to get on. 

“Hey there, McD!” he said to me as he boarded and stood in front of me

“Thats the worst nickname I’ve ever heard, thank you very much. Want some fries though?”

“I’d like a few, thanks,” he said sitting beside me again and taking a couple of fries. “Hey, can I ask you something?”

“Um yeah okay I guess, just not if it’s a question about you wanting to kidnap me and leave me in a ditch”

“Boy, sarcasm seems to be your best friend,” he said back to me and I just shrugged my shoulders, “So anyway, I wasn't gonna ask if I could kidnap you. I was actually gonna ask you if you wanted to grab a coffee or latte or something when you’re on your way home tonight,” he said starting to seem a little bit shy, scratching the back of his head, “you know, with me? If you wanted to? I just wanted to talk more with you since we don’t have a lot of time in the mornings and evenings to talk.”

I smiled warmly at him, “That would be nice actually, I don’t have plans so, sure why not!”

He seemed to relax a bit, “cool, I know a great place we can go” he gave me a big smile and I returned one to him. The few minutes left of the ride we sat in silence, I occasionally offered Alex more of my fries, happy to share them with him. I got off at my station and said bye to Alex, heading to work.

Alex’s POV

Rachel left the train after we both said a goodbye to one another. Something about this girl just got me. I dusted the bits of salt and grease from her mcdonalds fries off my hands and onto my pants. This morning when I was on the way to the train I had thought of asking her out on a date, but I thought that would be way too soon, but I just had to get to know her more, so I figured asking her to get a coffee with me would be a good idea, it’s not like it was a date.

I could tell this was gonna be a good day. I had already seen and talked to Rachel, made plans to hang out with her in the evening, and I was currently on my way to my friend Jack’s house to jam out and write some songs. Thank god I didn't have to work today, I needed a day off, and although I was still heading over to Towson, it was for a better reason than working.

I had gotten off the train and Jack was waiting in his car for me. I had known Jack since we were in ninth grade, so you’re like 14 by then…that’s 12 years ago, dude that’s a loooong time. But he is like a brother to me, so as much as he’s a dick and a goofball, I love him like family.

“Yo dude” I said to him as I entered his car, it stunk like hamburgers and barbecue chips, nothing I wasn't used to though.

“What up man, ready to work on some great shit today?”

“Yeah man, you know it, I’ve been getting good ideas!”

Jack and I were in the band All Time Low and we recently released our album So Wrong, It’s Right. It got very good reviews and we had gotten back from a tour with New Found Glory as a supporting act about a month ago. We were all extremely stoked on how the crowds were reacting to our music and could barely wait any longer to start writing and recording new songs. Our other bandmates, Zack and Rian, were gonna meet us at Jack’s in the afternoon to help along with new song ideas.

————————

“So did you ask her out yet man?!” Zack practically yelled at me. We were taking a break from writing songs and sitting around eating nachos and beer.

 “Not really, I had asked her if she wanted to hang out this evening, just go for a coffee or whatever,” I explained to them all. 

I had mentioned Rachel to the guys the second day her and I started talking and they were all ambushing me every minute of the day about how we were doing. They all had known me for more than a decade, so a long time ago they could be able to tell if I was really into a girl from like a mile away. 

“She sounds more like my type dude, maybe you should just save her for me,” Jack said to me, half jokingly, then taking a drink of his beer. I know he was joking but for some reason I felt threatened, but Rachel doesn't even know Jack. “What if they actually meet each other one day and she prefers him compared to me?” I wondered to myself hoping that wouldn't actually be true. 

4:30 came around quickly and I knew I had to leave Jack’s pretty soon to catch my usual train and then meet up with Rachel. Rian had offered me a drive to the train station, since it was over a 20 minute walk from Jack’s and only about a 10 minute if we were driving.

Jack pulled me aside before Rian and I left, “hey man, you should've invited her to a bar and gotten her completely hammered then slept with her. Think about it for next time.” He said patting me on the shoulder.

“Dude!” I said more loudly than planned, causing Zack and Rian to hear, “I’m not actually just trying for a one night stand. So what I havent slept with anyone in a while, who cares! I like this girl and dont need to screw it up and take advantage of her. She’s just a friend too! I barely know her!”

All three of my friends were looking at me, slightly shocked at my reaction. I didn’t mean to totally yell in Jack’s face, but it was true, I do like this girl and I don’t wanna just take advantage of her and leave her after one night.

I took a deep breath, calming myself down, “I apologize for yelling Jack. You know me, I prefer relationships rather than one night stands. I just wanna get to know her” I explained quietly to my friends.

“Its all good dude, I shouldn't have made that comment this early, I’ll wait till maybe your 5th date with her” he said laughing.

“Thanks man. I’ll see you later” With that, Rian and I left the house.

———————

“Hey there McD!” I said to Rachel as she entered the train. I was sitting beside her spot where I sit with her in the mornings, so I was in clear view.

She looked around pretending she didn't hear me call her that ridiculous name, and I actually felt my cheeks getting warm, definitely turning somewhat pink. This girl somehow knew how to get to me. Her personality was just amazing and usually I don’t even notice a girl’s personality until we’re in a relationship.

“Oh hi Alex! Sorry, I was just looking for the turdbrain that called me McD! They obviously saw me eating mcdonalds this morning and thought it would be funny to call me that” she said to me sitting down beside me.

I laughed, she was really sarcastic but she made it really adorable. I know I was gonna enjoy tonight with her.

Rachel’s POV

“So the coffeeshop is a quick walk from the station that I get off at, and then afterwords I can walk you back to the station and wait with you till the train comes if you want” Alex said to me. We were about 2 minutes away from his stop now and I couldn't lie, I was excited to spend more time with him.

“That sounds good Alex, thanks for offering to walk me back too” I accepted his offer. He was really sweet to me.

A short while later, we had arrived at the coffeeshop that Alex had told me about. It looked kinda like a Starbucks, but smaller and not as fancy (and expensive), but it did have a warm feel to it. Alex and I had ordered our food and drinks and although I tried paying for my own things, he was persistent and paid for the both of us. He told me not to worry about it and said it was him paying back for the fries he took this morning, even though it wasn't that much. 

We sat around the fireplace in two comfy chairs with a small table in front of us. There was a romantic feel to the setting but I didn't expect this to be considered a date, and I didn’t think Alex did as well. It was definitely keeping me nice and warm though, so I wasn't planning to move anytime soon.

“So, strange woman…” Alex started off. I gave him a smirk and rolled my eyes, “tell me about yourself.”