Chapter 2 (1/2): Guts

Carter's P.O.V

" Next time, I'm leaving you for the geeks." I run towards the alleyway, killing the geeks that get too close. I hear the man's steps behind me, followed by gunshots. I guess he's shooting them like it's Time Square.

I run into the alleyway, about to kill another geek until it speaks. " Whoa! Not dead! Come on! Come back here! Come on! Come on!" I nod my head quickly, following him up the ladder, the officer behind me.

When we finally climb up the guy I nearly killed speaks. " Nice moves there, Clint Eastwood. You the new sheriff come riding in to clean up the town?"

I hold a smirk from growing onto my face, moving my hair out of my face as the officer answers. " It wasn't my intention."

" Yeah, whatever. Yeehaw. You're still a dumbass."

The officer held his hand towards him before saying, " Rick. Thanks."

The guy glances for a moment before shaking his hand and saying, "Glenn. You're welcome." He then looks at me. " What's her name?"

" I thought she was with you," Rick's expression grows with confusion before turning his body to me, Glenn looking over his shoulder.

" Why'd you save me?" I shrug my shoulders, climbing up the ladder behind us to the roof.

" On the bright side: It'll be the fall that kills us. I'm a glass-half-full kind of guy," Glenn states before climbing up behind me, Rick following. We then make it to the roof, the two talking while I look around, trying to find a way into the building. I spot a hatch, running over and popping it open.

I finally tune into their conversation when Rick asks, " Back at the tank, why'd you stick your neck out for me?"

" Call it foolish, naïve hope that if I'm ever that far up shit creek, somebody might do the same for me, probably her reason too." He nods at me, " I guess we're both even bigger dumbasses than you."

Rick looks at me for an answer. I give a shrug before climbing down the ladder. Rick follows before closing the door, creating darkness.

-

Carter's P.O.V

Glenn talks on his walkie-talkie as we run down another staircase, Rick and I following behind him. " I'm back. Got a few guests with me and four geeks in the alley," he speaks into it before putting it back in the waist of his jeans.

We open a door in front of the staircase and see two walkers. Both men freeze in front of me while I grab my knife from my pocket. Two men dressed as blackberries with bats run out, smashing the geek's brains in.

" Let's go!" Glenn yells. I stick my knife back where it belongs and follow him inside, the two blackberries following as well.

Right when I get inside I'm pushed up against containers, a gun at my head. " You son of a bitch. We ought to kill you," blonde growls at me. It isn't frightening, her petite frame not helping either.

I let out a small snort for a laugh. Her face grows a brighter red while the rest around me look shocked and afraid. "Andrea, come on just put the gun-"

" You think this is funny? I could shoot you right now!" She yells.

I shake my head, allowing myself to show a small smirk. I snatch the gun from her hands, popping it out of safety mode before handing it back. She stares at me with shock for a moment before stating, " We're dead... All of us... Because of you two." She points between me and Rick.