Chapter 52: Arrow on the Doorpost

Carter's P.O.V

 My grip tightening on Daryl's jacket, he drives to a stop, both of us hopping off his bike as Rick gets out the car. Hershel stays in his seat as the two men check the perimeter. I tighten the bandage around my torso, letting the shirt and jacket fall. Hershel makes sure he has enough ammo.

 Daryl finally gets back, explaining Rick sat down with the Governor . Another drives up, Daryl aiming at the three, one being Andrea. " Why's your boy already in there?" Daryl questions.

 " He's here?"

 " Yep." She only sighs, walking inside the warehouse where the two men are speaking. We stand outside, the five of us. I tap my fingers on my leg. The grip on the bow in my free hand tightening every now and then, Daryl pacing in front of me.

 " Maybe I should go inside," Hershel states after a moment.

 " The Governor though it best is he and Rick spoke privately." I across from me, seeing a guy with glasses speaking.

 " Who the hell are you?" Daryl asks.

 " Milton Mamet."

 " Great. He brought his butler." A small smirk grows on my face.

 " I'm his advisor."

 " What kind of advice?"

 " Planning. Biters. Uh, you know, I'm sorry. I don't feel like I need to explain myself to the henchmen." 

 " You better watch your mouth, sunshine."

 " Look, if you and I are gonna be out here pointing guns at each other all day, do me a favor, shut your mouth." Daryl tries to go for the Hispanic, only to be pulled back by his vest. I shake my head no as he looks back at me. He sighs, nodding his head before I let go of his vest, him continuing to pace. " What are you, his maid or something?" I look back at him, staring for a moment.

 " I'm Carter. I keep his ass in check," I state, walking away from the four men.

 " Where you going?" he questions. I don't answer him, continuing to walk away from him.

 I lean against on of the round structures, flicking the lighter on and off I found on a dead body. The initial D.D on them. I smirk, thinking I could give it Daryl. The I.D on the guy's body said Damian Derris but hey, what he doesn't know won't hurt. A growl takes me from my thoughts, seeing a walker stumbling towards me. I aim an arrow, letting it go as the body falls. I walk over to it, looking through it's pockets to find an untouched pack of cigarettes, making a smirk cross my face.

 " There's no reason not to use this time together to explore the issues ourselves," I hear Milton say as I get closer. I roll my eyes, placing the lighter and pack in my pocket. Continuing to walk until I get beside Daryl, leaning against the car.

 " Boss said to sit tight and shut up."

 " You mean the Governor?" I ask the Hispanic.

 " It's a good thing they're sitting down, especially after what happened. They're gonna work it out. Nobody wants another battle."

 " I wouldn't exactly call it a battle," Daryl states, me humming in agreement.

 " I'd call it a battle, and I did. I recorded it." I groan slightly, letting my head roll back. " Is there a problem?"

 " Why are you recordin' shit?"

 " Somebody's got to keep a record of what we've gone through. It'll be a part of our history," he explains, Hershel agreeing with him. He goes to speak again, only to be cut off by the snarling of walkers. Daryl and I jog quickly, getting our arrows ready.

 " After you," Daryl states, motioning to the Hispanic.

 " No way. You first."

 " Jesus Christ," I groan, pushing both out of the way. I shoot one in head, it falling as I hit the other in the head with end of the bow. It fall to the floor, trying to get up before I stomp it's head in. Once it falls silent I look behind me, seeing the two looking at me. " Pussy," I say, moving aside to let the two take on the last few. They do so quickly before digging through the pockets of the walkers. Daryl finds a pack of cigarettes, gesturing for us to have one.

 " Nah, I prefer menthols," the man says, making me roll my eyes, taking one.

 " I didn't know you smoked," Daryl states.

 " Used to, just haven't since I had joined the army," I respond, lighting it up before lighting Daryl's. I take a deep breath, feeling it fill my lungs before breathing out. " You army?" I ask the man, making him look at me.

 " Nah, I just hate these things," he explains, looking at the crimson covered bat. " After what they did to my wife, kids." I only hum, taking another breath. " You know this is a joke, right?" I look up at him. " They ain't gonna work anything out. They're gonna do their little dance and tomorrow, the next day... they'll get the word." Daryl and I nod, already understanding the situation at hand. He gestures for a stick, which Daryl hands him one before I light him up as well.

 Staying quiet for a while my stick is almost out. I drop it, stomping it out quickly. I lean against the structure behind me, thinking quietly to myself. " What happened to you with Merle?" I look over, seeing it was the Hispanic who asked me. I look away for a moment, seeing Daryl's eyes on me as well.

 " Just something I hope you never did to your wife," I say. He looks down, understanding as Daryl just looks at me. He moves to me, giving me a kiss on my forehead, before giving a quick hug. " Imma' go check on Hershel." I kiss his lips quickly, walking away but hearing the two talk.

 " She's a keeper."

 " Yeah, I know." I smile forms on my face as redness grows in my cheeks.

 Relaxing a moment, the warehouse door opens, the two men walking out as Daryl and the Hispanic finally get back. Daryl gets on his bike as I follow, wrapping my arms around his waist as he drives away, Rick and Hershel following.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 I hop off the bike as soon as we get inside, walking into the prison as Daryl follows. The rest get inside quickly, us standing around in the cell block, Daryl gripping my hand. Rick begins to speak. " Sat with him for quite a while. He wants the prison. He wants us gone. Dead. He wants us dead for what we did to Woodbury. We're going to war." Rick walks away, everyone allowing it to sink in. Daryl holds me close, kissing my forehead before looking across from us, seeing Merle looking at us. His face covered in guilt.