Chapter 45: Made to Suffer

Carter's P.O.V

 The two explain what happened, Glenn getting beaten as Maggie was almost raped. I keep quiet the whole time, trying to make the images in my head disappear. Only my thoughts get interrupted by the door opening. The two fight as much as they can while I just try to stay conscious, the loss of blood not helping. Two guards drag me out, making me kneel beside the couple.

 " We're gonna be okay," Glenn murmurs to us. Maggie grips my hand, a bag being placed over her head before me and Glenn. They place us on our feet, moving us where they want us. An explosion sounds, making everyone start to panic as I get grabbed. The bag is pulled off my head as the ties of my hands are pulled off once outside. I look up, seeing the face I was hoping to see.

 " D-Daryl," I mumble, seeing my vision turn black before hearing him talk.

 " Hey, hey! Stay up, we gotta go okay?" I nod almost drunkenly, his arm around my waist as the other is around his shoulder. We move quickly before Rick makes us go inside a building. Glenn and I give up, losing the rest of or strength as we fall to the floor. I groan in pain, falling in and out of consciousness.

 Daryl's P.O.V

 She finally blacks out, panic running through me as she limps beside Glenn, who tries to see what's wrong with her. " Ain't no way out back here," I state before moving beside my girl, trying to wake her up.

 " How bad are they?" Rick asks, looking at the Glenn and Carter.

 " I'll be alright," Glenn groans. " I don't know about Carter. Merle did one too many things to her."

 " My brother?" I question, hearing his name before looking around, seeing the samurai lady gone. " Where's the samurai?" I question, Rick not knowing either.

 " Wait, you saw Merle?" Rick backtracks.

 " Face to face. Threw a walker at Carter. He was gonna execute us."

 " S-So my brother's the governor?" I stutter.

 " No, it's somebody else. Your brother's his lieutenant or something."

 " Does he know I'm with you?" I ask, the couple nodding while Glenn apologizes. 

 " He does now. Rick, I'm sorry. We told him where the prison was. We couldn't hold out."

 " Don't. No need to apologize." He looks out the window before looking at Glenn again. " Can you walk? We got a car a few miles out. Someone needs to carry Carter. The blood is stopping but she's lost too much already."

 " Hey if Merle's around, I need to see him," I exclaim.

 " Not now. We're in hostile territory. You need to help carry Carter back."

 " He's my brother. I ain't-"

 " Look what he did to her!" Rick snaps. " We gotta get out of here now."

 " Maybe I can talk to him. Maybe I can work something out."

 " No, no, no. You're not thinking straight. Look, no matter what they say, they're hurt. Glenn can barely walk. Carter has passed out. How are we gonna make it out if we get overrun by walkers and this governor catches up to us? I need you. Are  you with me?" he questions, which I finally agree to.

 Finally getting our shit together, I throw a smoke bomb outside, picking Carter up as the rest cover me as best they can. They shoot the perimeter team, Oscar dying in the process. I hide behind cover, placing her down before shooting my rifle behind cover. " How many?"

 " I didn't see," I answer Rick. " But it don't matter if more start comin'." I reload, placing my gun back, grabbing another grenade. " I'll lay down some fire to cover you."

 " No it's too risky! You need to carry Carter."

 " Oscar can do that Rick! It's too hairy. It'll lay down some ground." He only nods, knowing I won't change my mind. I throw a grenade quickly, shooting as much as I can, taking cover behind a bench before shooting again. Maggie screams for Rick, making me look and see Glenn holding Carter on top of the bus, Oscar shot down before being shot again by Maggie, the two helping get Carter and her weapons to safety.

 I reload again, hearing Rick call my name, only for me to tell them to go. I continue shooting, holding cover for them. For Carter.

---

 3rd P.O.V

 " Merle, the man I counted, the man I trusted. He led 'em here. And he let 'em in. It was you. You lied, betrayed us all," Governor states to the crowd, Merle being pushed to the center of the ring. Another person, tied up with a hood over there head is brought to the ring as well. " this is one of the terrorists," the Governor continues pulling the hood, only to show, " Merle's own brother."

 " What should we do with them, huh?" he continues, the crowd wanting to kill them. " You wanted you're brother. Now you got him Merle."