Chapter 12 (1/2): What Lies Ahead

Carter's P.O.V

 Although I tried to tell 'em about Fort Benning Shane cut me off, making Rick say we're going to Fort Benning, Daryl giving me a sad yet small smile. We ran out of fuel for the truck so now I and Daryl are up front with our bikes, leading everyone through our 125-mile road trip. Yay.

 As we continue driving I look over at Daryl, seeing him glancing at me before looking back at the road.  I smirk and look forward as well, only to slow down, seeing the road almost completely blocked.

 " You see a way through?" Dale yells from the R.V. We both look around, seeing a way. We turn back, giving Dale a nod before driving our way through, real slow too. It doesn't last long as the R.V sputters to a stop, making me and Daryl stop and get off our bikes, walking over to an annoyed Dale.

 " I said it. Didn't I say it? A thousand times. Dead in the water. We're stuck in the middle of nowhere with no hope of-Okay that was dumb," he cuts himself off as Daryl pulls a few things out of a random car, making me do the same to another.

 " This is a graveyard," Lori states, making me stop slightly to look at her. I shrug before continuing to dig in the car. " You are okay with this Carter?" she exclaims.

 " It's a fucking car! Done worse," I mutter, throwing a bag out on the road. Everyone begins scavenging, almost ignoring Lori's words. As the kids past on, not bothering to look 'cause of Carol, I pop the door open behind them. I move past the dead body, swatting away the flies to grab a cooler, opening only to slam it down. I go into a coughing fit at the stench in it before grabbing a small blue backpack, closing the door. I dig through it, seeing there's clothes for Carl and Sophia.

 " Here." I hand the bag to Carol, making her give a confused glance before I walk off as she digs through it. After finding a bag of canned food I pop open another trunk, making me jump and fall to the ground in shock. I slowly get back up, looking inside again in disgust and anger. Inside was a tied up walker with tape on its mouth.

 " What's wrong?" I jump slightly before remembering it's Daryl. He looks in the trunk, disgusted slightly as well before stabbing it with a knife. " You find anything'?" he asks.

 " Food, clothes for the kids...some tied up walker," I murmured the last part, making him roll his eyes as I walk past him, going for another car until I get pushed to the ground. " What the f-" A hand covers my mouth as I hear the redneck whisper, " Under the car. Now!" I stare up at him as he sprints off until I smell the stench of a walker, a very strong one too. I look over at Lori and Carol, who are panicking as I wave them to move. They crawl under a car as I run over to the kids. I pull Carl down under a car with me as Sophia gets down under one beside us, her grip tightening on her doll.

 After a few moments, the stench grows stronger as they stumble past us. Sophia starts to panic. I put my finger over my lips, making her quiet down as I put my other hand over Carl's mouth, making him lean into me, his hands gripping on my flannel. As they all past I wait a bit, still holding Carl just to make sure he doesn't leave my side. I look over to see Sophia trying to crawl out. I try to wave her off until another one shows up, making her shriek and crawl in the other direction.

 " Sophia!" I crawl out from under the car, following after her. I hop over the barrier, following her and the walkers following her. I trip and fall on my way down before getting up and sprinting after her in a different direction.

 As soon as I catch up to her I grab her, pulling her into a hug. She sobs into my chest slightly I pull her away, arm's length with my hands on her shoulder. " Listen to everything I say. I need you to climb up this tree right here. Count to 60 and if I'm not back by then go back to the road, back the way you came. Keep the sun on your left shoulder and you'll be alright. Okay, take this," I quickly hand her my knife and dog tags," It'll keep you and your dolly safe with a good luck charm. Go go go." I pick her, putting her on a branch, waving her to climb higher. " Hey! Over here!" I yell, making the two walkers notice me as I walk backward. I point at Sophia, patting my left shoulder before running off.