Chapter 8: Wildfire

Carter's P.O.V

 The water becomes a bit red from my arrows and knife. After I put my knife away and arrows back in my quiver I grab the bandanna I took from Daryl as he was asleep. I dip it in the water, soaking it partially before wiping it across my face. I repeat it a few times before looking into the reflection of the water.

 " Still hideous as ever," I mutter as I clearly see every part of me, noticing my flaws. " Damn."

 " Carter?" I hear a voice whisper. I look to my left to see Sophia, holding her doll and staring at me with doll-like eyes.

 " What are you doing up Sophia?" I question, cleaning the bandanna.

 " I got scared. You weren't beside me when I woke so I wanted to find you." I stare at with an emotionless face.

 " The sun isn't even up sweetie. You should go back to sleep."

 " I wanna stay with you. Please?" I look back at her, seeing doing this puppy-dog face. I let my head drop, sighing, then waving her over before muttering, " C'mon, let's get you cleaned up a bit before your Momma wakes up." She lips twitch up to a smile as I grab her arm softly. I look up at her before starting to wipe away the dirt and blood off her face. When I finished cleaning her face she asks, " What are you thinking?"

 I pause for a moment before saying, " Have you ever seen a china doll?" She shakes her head no slightly. " You remind me of a china doll sweetie. Beautiful, small, perfect skin, and adorable." I poke in her side slightly, making her jump back and squeal, making me give a small smile. " Let's go back to your Momma china doll." I stand up from my squatting position, grabbing her free hand as her other is occupied with her doll.

 As I walk back to the camp, I see only Daryl and Rick awake. " Where's Carol?" I question Rick. He points towards the R.V, making me push Sophia in that direction, telling her to go see her mother. She nods her head slightly before walking into the R.V, slowing down while passing Andrea and Amy before going inside. I walk over to Daryl, handing him his bandanna. He stares at me in annoyance before snatching it from my hand. " Today's not gonna be nice," I mutter as the sun starts to shine brightly across the horizon.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 As everyone wakes up, we start to clean up, burning the bodies and burying the people killed as Daryl and I swing pickaxes at the heads of the dead, making sure they stay dead. I wipe the sweat off my head, taking a breather before looking up, only to see Rick backing away from Andrea as she points a gun to his head. " She's a damn time bomb," I mutter, making Daryl look as well.

 " What do suggest?" Rick questions us.

 " Take the shot. Clean in the brain from here. Hell, I can hit a turkey between the eyes from this distance."

 " Let her cope first Dixie Cup." He glares at me before growling, " Shut up with that name bitch." I roll my eyes slightly before going to hit another dead one until Carol stops me.

 " Let me do it, he's my husband." I look down to see it is Ed. I slowly give the pickaxe, before she swings it at his head. She swings maniacally, tears pouring down her face before I grab her arms slightly, making her drop the pickaxe on my foot and walking off. I let out a grunt of pain before feeling the weight come off my foot. I look up to see Daryl holding my pickaxe in his free hand before handing it to me. I was about to say thanks until I hear words I wish would never happen. " Jim got bit! He's bit!"