Chapter 32 (1/2): Beside the Dying Fire

Carter's P.O.V

 " Rick and Shane back?" I question, walking through the door. Andrea jumps up, pointing her gun at me. " Damn, Shane's got you wrapped around his finger," I mumble, grabbing the small first aid kit from the kitchen.

 " They aren't, what happened?" Lori questions with suspicion.

 " We found Randall, he's a walker. He wasn't bit, neck got snapped," Daryl explains, " Carter was following them until her and Shane got into a fight, him knocking her out." Everyone then has an 'oh' expression, Patricia walking over to me to help treat my wounds.

" Shane and Randall's were together. You know Shane isn't a tracker, so he didn't come up behind him." I think for a moment before two and two fit together. " I gotta go get Rick," I state, walking past everyone.

 " Carter you're hurt," Daryl states, following me. I open the door, going to leave until I catch a whiff of something putrid. " What did I-oh shit," he curses, looking across the field with me. Andrea and Glenn follow, seeing our worst nightmare appear; a herd. Not a small one, hundreds on hundreds.

 " Light's off," I whisper to Patricia, Andrea getting the guns.

 " Maybe they're just passing, like the herd on the highway. Should we just go inside?" Glenn asks.

 " Unless there's a tunnel downstairs I don't know about."

 " They'll rip this place down. We're not just gonna pass our way through a herd this size," I explain.

 " Carl's gone. He-He was upstairs. I can't find him anymore," Lori panics.

 " He's okay," I state.

 " How do you know-"

 " The only reason he would've left was to find Rick. I know he's with Rick right now Lori, but right we gotta get outta here," I explain, calming her down a bit.

 Andrea brings the guns, dropping them on the porch. The Greene's begin loading, only for Daryl to mutter, " I got the number, it's no use."

 " You can go if you want," Hershel states, loading a shotgun.

 " You gonna take 'em all?" I question.

 " We have guns. We have cars. This is my farm, I'll die here."

 " Good a night as any," I say, hopping over the railing, following Daryl.

 " Stay by me," he states. I nod slightly. Running over, we grab our bikes, driving them in front of the cars and R.V. We stop in front of the barn, shooting as many as we can 'till we run out.

 " Well, the boys made it back," I say, looking at the burning barn. I reload another clip, Daryl doing the same. We drive to another area, shooting again until it get overrun. He drives over to the R.V, me going in the opposite direction to shoot more. I look over, seeing the R.V driving to the barn as Daryl drives beside me, continuing to shoot.

 I'm almost out of ammo, as everyone else almost is too. I drive around, losing Daryl and finding Carol surrounded. I hop off, shooting what's left of my bullets, clearing her a path as Daryl gets here.

 " Carol go now! I'll meet you on the highway!" I yell. She hops on the bike. Daryl looks at me with concern before driving away. I hop back on my bike, slowly being surrounded again, only for it to sputter and stop. " Fuck!"

 I sprint away, shooting a few and taking the arrows back, hearing a scream. I look over, seeing Andrea stuck with a walker. I run towards her, grabbing a pitch fork before stabbing through the head, it limping. I push the body off, pulling her up.

 " We meet at the highway! I'm gonna see if there's anyone else!" I run away again, seeing her go past the tree line. I look over, the last car driving off. " Shit," I mutter, running into the farm house. I push the couch against the door, hearing them banging on the windows and doors. I slowly back away, only to hear a growl.

 I spin quickly, falling with the walker on top of me. I stab it quickly, throwing it off me. I hear the banging grow louder, making me panic. " Shit! Fuck it!" I exclaim, stabbing the dead body open. I throw on a long winter coat, it hanging to my knees. I stick my hand in the guts, placing it all over my body. Almost throwing up from the putrid smell, I fully cover myself as the door breaks open. I quietly go upstairs, opening each door and grabbing medical supplies and other people's belongings and stuffing them into other's bags. I grab mine and Daryl's bag last, stuffing his things in mine before walking into the hallway, seeing walkers limping towards me.

 I calm my breathing, walking slowly towards them, only to pass them all. Walking down the steps I pass more, before getting outside. As soon as I'm at the tree line, I go into a run, hoping the others are okay.

 Daryl's P.O.V

 Driving away from Carter has to be the dumbest thing I ever did. I know she can handle herself, I'm still terrified she may be in over her head.  " She's gonna be okay," I hear Carol say over the wind. I only hum, driving faster than before.