Chapter 17 (1/2): Chupacabra

Carter's P.O.V

 " Alright, everyone's getting new search grids today," Rick states, me and Daryl getting to the truck, the map still laying on the hood. Andrea, Shane, and T beside the sheriff. " If she made it as far as the farmhouse Daryl and Carter found, she might have gone further east than we've been so far."

 " I'd like to help." I glance behind Rick, seeing Beth's boyfriend walking over to us. " I know the area pretty well and stuff."

 " Hershel's okay with this?"

 " Yeah yeah. He said I should ask you."

 " Alright then. Thanks," Rick says until Shane speaks.

 " Nothing about what the two found scream Sophia to me. Anyone could have been holed up in that farmhouse."

 " Counting Sophia. The little girl is smarter than I reckon you know Shane," I state, making him glare, Daryl quickly taking the heat off of me.

 " Whoever slept in that cupboard was no bigger than yay-high," he states, using his hand to show the height.

 " Maybe we'll pick up her trail again," Rick encourages.

 " No maybe about it. I'm gonna borrow a horse-"

 " Shouldn't we ask Hershel?" I question him. He shrugs before Dale drops the bag of guns in front of us.

 " We can head up this ridge right here, take a bird's-eye view of the whole grid." I nod in agreement before thanking Dale.

 " Good idea. Maybe you'll see your Chupacabra up there too," T jokes, making me stare at Daryl in confusion.

 " What?" I question, laughing slightly as Dale explains.

 " What you never heard of this? Our first night in camp, Daryl tells us that the whole thing reminds him of a time when he went squirrel hunting and he saw a Chupacabra," Dale tells, laying a few guns out.

 " So you believe in a blood-sucking dog?"

 " Do you believe in dead people walking around?" he questions back, making me shrug in agreement. I look to see the boy go and try to grab the gun, only for Rick to stop him.

 " You ever fire one before?"

 " Well, if I'm going out, I want one."

 " Yeah, and people in hell want Slurpees," Daryl snaps, pulling me away from the group and towards the stables. As we get far enough away, I let out a chuckle.

 " Really? Slurpees?"

 " What?"

 " Nothin', nothin' at all," I say, trying to hide my smile.

 " You ever had one? A Slurpee?"

 " Nah. Never got the chance."

 " Well, maybe you could one of these days. Alright which one?" he asks, looking around as I notice we're at the stables.

 " I don't know. Don't care. You pick."

 " Just choose Peaches."

 " Softie," I mumble," That one I guess."

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 My arrow pierces the squirrel into the tree, Daryl riding up beside it before pulling it out, handing it to me before continuing on. He stops as soon as I tie the squirrel to my torso, the arrow back in my quiver. He nods his head in a direction, making me see what he was seeing; A doll. Sophia's doll, at the bottom of the cliff beside the stream.

 We both hop off the horse, him tying the rope to a tree as I try to get a better view. He follows behind me, taking his bow in hand as I climb down the cliff, him following behind me.

 I walk through the water, grabbing the doll stuck in between a few sticks. I tighten my grip, the water falling from it as I snap my eyes shut, taking in a deep breath before letting out a silent sigh, opening my eyes to look at the doll.

 " We're close," he murmurs. I nod in agreement. I look over at him, seeing he found the knife I gave her before handing it to me.

 " Sophia!" I yell, Daryl repeating me more than once before I crouch in the water, feeling my adrenaline dying. " God," I mutter, splashing the water on my face, soaking my hair and part of my shirt before beginning my way up the cliff again, Daryl following in pursuit.

 " Are you giving up?" he asks.

 " No, just ain't feeling right," I answer quietly, grabbing a branch, only for it to fall from my grasp, making me fall into Daryl. I feel his arm wrap around my waist, pulling me close to him as he holds onto a tree. My head lands on his chest, my hands on his waist. We stay like that for a few seconds before I mumbling, " S-Sorry," slipping out of his grasp and continue climbing.

 As we get on the horse, continuing our journey, close to the edge a few birds fly away, startling the horse. Daryl eases it before continuing.

 " Something ain't right," I whisper to him. As soon as I do something startles the horse, making it rear up and I fall off. Daryl holds on until it repeats it's actions, him falling with me. 

 I tumble down the cliff, getting hit by rocks and branches before hitting the bottom, splashing into the water. A sharp pain running through my head as all I hear is ringing. I tilt my head, seeing Daryl lay beside me before dark spots cover my vision, the ringing continuing.

 Daryl's P.O.V

 I fall down the cliff, landing in the water as Carter lands beside me. I groan in pain as I look down, seeing my own bolt through my torso.

 " Ca-Carter!" I groan out in between pants. " Carter!" No response. I look back up to see her head bleeding, not moving except her chest from her breathing. I feel my head, not feeling anything out of the ordinary.

 Groaning and grunting in pain, I slowly get up, crawling towards Carter. I shake her, trying to get her to move. " Get up Peaches. C-C'mon," I murmur, trying to wake her up with all my strength. I force myself to my feet, my head dizzy before grabbing her feet, slowly dragging her towards the sand. As soon as she is on land I tear off my sleeves, tying them to the bolt to make it a little less painful.

 As I'm on my knees I look up at the cliff before glancing at Carter. ' Well, that's not gonna happen. ' I think before hearing rustling in the bushes a few yards away, my body failing me as I lay back on the ground.

 " Shit."

 " Hey there little brother."