Chapter 64 (2/2): Indifference

Carter's P.O.V

 Slowly walking inside the place, I hold my flashlight in one hand, my other holding the crossbow. I move slowly, it being me and Bob inside. We make it to the back, a smirk forming at my face from all the car tools. " Alright right here. This is my fuckin' haven here," I mumble the last part, grabbing a car battery.

 " How is a auto shop a haven to you?" he questions.

 " 'Cause I like cars and bikes," I answer, seeing the battery still in good enough shape. Looking through more of the store, I see dried up puke beside a bottle, Bob holding the battery. " Boys in the vine drank Antifreeze to kill 'emselves," I say," died kumbaya style in here."

 " They wanted to go out together same as they lived," he explains. " That make them douchebags?"

 " If they could've gotten out fuck yeah."

 " Everybody makes it, 'till they don't," he states.

 " What'd you do take that out of a book or something?" I scoff, walking to the exit.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 The door creaks as we leave the Learning Resource Center, we move quickly, going into another classroom. Walking to a third classroom with Bob, Michonne and Ty getting supplies I state, " Anything ending with -cillian or -cin we need," out loud, it filled with many medicines in cabinets.

I grab all of the medicine we need from the list before looking for other ones. The two bottles make me question in my head before placing them in my bag. Bob stares over at me in confusion before Ty and Michonne come back with the rest of the supplies.

 " Alright, we're good. We should go before we deal with any problems," I say, throwing the bag over my shoulder. Shining my flashlight, I move quietly, the others following behind. I look in one of the rooms, finding its door to the outside open, walkers beginning to come inside. I wave my hand before moving myself to the end of the hall, taking a right to what's supposed to be the exit.

 Moving between the objects, we get to the exit, Tyreese killing one walker. I pull at the chained lock before Michonne and I jump back, hands trying to grab at us through the cracks of the double doors. " How many?"

 " I can't tell," she responds. The door we came from opens up, a couple of walkers spilling out of it.

 " We can take 'em."

 " No! They're infected. Same as at the prison," Bob hollers at Tyreese. " We fire at 'em, get their blood on us, breathe it in. We didn't come all this way to get sick."

 " How do we know the ones in there aren't any different?" Ty questions him.

 " We don't."

 " Well, it's gotta change sometime," I say. I glance back at Michonne, the woman nodding her head before I break the lock with my knife, moving away from the door. The walkers move quickly, the three killing them faster though. Once dead, I move ahead of them first, sprinting up the stairs. Once at a higher floor, we kill the walkers in our way, running towards the end of the hall.

 " Door on the left's jammed," Michonne says.

 " We makin' an exit then!" I yell. I grab the fire extinguisher, throwing it at the window. " Come on Michonne," I mumble, helping her then Tyreese through the window. I help Bob last, pushing him out. I go to jump myself, only to see his body blocking the walkway. " Bob move!" I yell, my feet beginning to slip off the edge of the window sill. I stab one of the walkers in the head before my footing slips. Barely gripping the window's frame, I shriek in pain, feeling the shattered glass rip through my skin and flesh.

 " Carter!" Tyreese yells. I pull myself up, pushing my body away from the building, landing on my back on the walkway. I groan in pain, slowly standing up, seeing my hands a dark scarlet. I look over at Bob's bag, digging through it trying not to hurt myself. Grasping only one thing in his bag, fucking whiskey.

 " You gotta be kiddin' me," I mumble, a sadistic smile and laugh escaping me. Anger boils in me, adrenaline pumping in my veins to allow the pain in my hands to disappear. " Fucking alcohol. At least I could've almost died for meds. But fucking whiskey!" I yell, " Fuck you man," I cuss him out. I go to throw the now blood covered bottle until his voice stops me.

 " Don't." I look at him, seeing his hand on his gun. I scoff, a psychotic smirk on my face before grabbing his gun. Taking the magazine out, I place what's left of his gun back in the holster.

 " Fine, I won't throw it," I say, motioning for him to take it. He slowly inches his hand forward to it before I drop it over the side of the walkway, into the horde. " You injured me last run 'cause of this, killing Zach in the process. Now you injured me again, almost killing me now. You sleepin' with one eye open," I growl. Placing the magazine in my bag, I walk past the three, pulling the shards of glass from my hands.

 " Carter, we need to get your hands wrapped."

 " Does it look like I care anymore Michonne?"