Chapter 55: Owe You / A/N

Daryl's P.O.V

 I pace back and forth in front of Hershel's cell, hoping for the best news. I hear his crutches, making me look up from the floor. He sees the fear in my eyes, scared of what'll happen to them.

 " He's okay." I let out a sigh of relief from hearing that, Hershel continuing. " Carter's fine, it just scraped her arm. It went through Merle's shoulder through. Luckily she stopped the bleeding long enough. He'll be out for a while though and his shoulder will be sore from me placing it back in place." A small smile forms on my face, thanking him before walking into the cell. Merle's knocked out, small snores escaping his mouth. I stare a moment more before walking out, going to Carter's and my cell.

 I lean against the frame of the door, seeing her changing out of her ripped tank top. She throws on one of my flannels, not bothering to button fully it up. It slides off her shoulder, showing one of the disappearing scars she got from Merle. Most of her scars are going away except for the one on her thigh, which gives her a barely noticeable limp. She finally looks over at me, giving a small yet sad smile.

 " Thank you." She gives me a confused before I continue. " For-uh, saving my brother."

 " I wasn't gonna leave him," she responds, placing the checkered flannel back on her shoulder, only for it to fall back down.

 " You could've let him die too, but you didn't." I stay silent for a moment, taking a step to her. " I know you never liked him. You wanted him dead, but you helped keep him alive. I owe you one." She nods her head, taking a step to me while giving me a smile.

 " No shit," she jokes, a small laugh escaping me. " You know, Merle actually did apologize." I stare at her as she explains, " He didn't actually say it. He made sure I didn't get hurt as badly. I'd say we're kinda' even now." I take a step to her, allowing my fingers intertwine with hers. I pull her hand close my face, giving it a kiss.

 " I definitely owe you one," I repeat, giving her a long, well deserved kiss.