Chapter 20 : Pretty Much Dead Already

Carter's P.O.V 

 The tension seeming high through the group is almost too tense to bare. Grabbing a few bites from Daryl's plate Glenn looks over at me and Dale. As I figure out what he's thinking of I nod my head slightly, as does Dale. The gets up, walking to where he is in front of all of us before stating, " The barns full of walkers."

 As soon as we get to the barn Shane peeks through the cracks before walking back, beginning another argument with the sheriff before I mute it out again, Daryl doing the same as I lean my weight against his.

 " Okay I think it's time that we all start consider the other possibility."

 " We just found her doll two days ago. We're close to finding this girl," I argue.

 " You found her doll, Carter. That's what you did. You found a doll."

 " You don't know what the hell you're talking about!" Daryl exclaims behind me.

 " I'm just saying what needs to be said."

 " What you are saying is bullshit!" I yell, Daryl grabbing my arm as Rick tries to shut down his partner.

 " Let me tell you something else, man. If she was alive out there and saw one of you coming all methed out with your buck knife and blood all over you, she would run in the other direction."

 " You motherfu-" I cut myself as I jump towards him, only for Daryl to wrap his arms around my waist, holding me back. Rick and Glenn push Shane back as Lori and Daryl calm me down. When I control my anger I rip his arms off me, Shane going for walk.

 " Let me talk to Hershel. Let me figure it out-"

 " What are you gonna figure out?!"

 " If we're gonna stay, if we're gonna clean this barn, I have to talk him into it. This is his land."

 " Rick you can't even do that man. He sees them as people who are sick," I explain.

 " He thinks they can be cured. His wife, his stepson," Dale adds.

 " You two knew?"

 " Yesterday I talked to Hershel. Carter learned from Glenn and spoke with me as well."

 " And you waited the night?" Shane questions walking to me.

 " We we're safe even without knowing. Last time I checked we've been here a damn long time and nobody has died. The closest thing there was to a death was Carl and that was an accident." As Shane begins to yell the walkers get reckless, now banging and slamming on the door, making people panic.

 " Why didn't you tell me?!" Daryl yells in front of our tent.

 " You think I didn't want to? Glenn told me not to and why does it matter?! We aren't dead are we? The closest we are to dead is Shane having no heart for Sophia!" I yell back. We've been fighting for a few minutes beside the edge of the forest.

 " Why not me?! After everything we've been through you had to keep this from me!"

 " Why is it a big deal ass wipe?! We're fuckin' breathing aren't we? So how about this; You can go fuck horse dick while I go and look for Sophia." I walk into the forest without letting him speak, his yells growing soft.

 Minutes pass until I hear the crunch of a branch behind me, making me raise my bow. After a few moments of silence I drop my guard, hearing a barely noticeable breathing.