Chapter 61 (1/2): Isolation

Carter's P.O.V

 " You found them like this?" Rick ask Tyreese, the man's gaze still stuck on the body.

 " I came to see Karen...and I saw the blood on the floor. Then I smelled them. Somebody dragged them out here and set them on fire," he states, his anger growing. " They killed them and set them on fire!" It goes silent for a moment before the dark man take a step towards the ex-officer, Daryl and I keeping our guard up. " You're a cop. You find out who did this and you bring 'em to me. You understand?" he orders. " You bring 'em to me," Tyreese emphasizes.

 " Look, Ty, we'll find out-" I grasp his shoulder, only to be pushed into Daryl. I feel Daryl tense up behind me.

 " I need to say it again?"

 " No, no," Rick responds, trying to stay calm. " I know what you're feeling. I've been there. You saw me there. It's dangerous."

 " Karen didn't deserve this. David didn't deserve it. Nobody does."

 " Alright, let's calm-" Daryl tries to touch him, only to be pushed against the wall.

 " Man, I ain't going nowhere 'till I find out who did this!" the man yell. I go to stop him, only for Daryl to motion us not to.

 " We're on the same side, man," Daryl tell him calmly, trying to not to trigger Tyreese.

 " Tyreese, we've all lost someone," I say, " We know what you're going through now but--I need to calm down." My hand slightly touches his arm, making the man lose it. He pushes me away.

 " You best step the hell back!" he states, glaring daggers a few feet away from me.

 " Karen wouldn't want you like this-" Rick gets cut off, a sharp hook being landed on his jaw.

 " Tyreese enough!" I yell, pushing him back. In return my head takes a sharp right, falling to my hands and knees. Instead of punching me once more, I get a boot to the side of the head, opening a wound in my face. Ringing is the only thing I hear after a few moments, laying on my back and seeing the blue sky. A face, well Carol's face takes up most of my view, her mouth moving but I hear nothing for a minute or so. She looks to the side, her mouth calling for someone.

 My hearing slowly returns, hearing her call for Daryl, hearing someone sobbing as well. I get up on my elbows, shaking my head to disburse the ringing. Daryl kneels beside me, as does Carol. " Carter?" he hollers, his voice sounding inverted. I look behind him, seeing a shocked Rick and a sobbing Tyreese.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Wincing slightly, Hershel scraps blood off my skin with rubbing alcohol, placing a small bandage above my eyebrow. " Good new, no need for stitches and the swelling's down," he explains. " Least you don't look like a chipmunk," he jokes, yet I stay silent, too lost in my thoughts. " You okay?"

 " It hurts," I grumble in response before walking out.

 Walking outside after looking around, I see Sasha walking away from Hershel and Glenn, a look of doubt on the Asian's face. I slowly jog over to them, Glenn looking at me with concern now. " I'm fine," I tell him, but concern and fear still covers his eyes.

 " You sure? You took a nice hit-"

 " I'm fine," I repeat with more emphasis, Hershel looking between the two of us.

 " Is there something I need to know?" he questions the both of us. Glenn looks at me with plead, I only give him a glare.

 " No, you don't need to know anything," I state, giving Glenn a look before walking back inside the prison, going to the Council meeting.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 " Everyone who survived the attack in cell block D. Sasha, Caleb, and now others," Hershel explains, Daryl mumbling a small 'Oh Jesus'.

 " So what do we do?" Carol questions.

 " First thins first. Cell block A is isolation. We keep the sick people there like we tried with Karen and David," he states, yet I keep my gaze on Glenn and Daryl. Both look pale, Daryl seeming as if he's trying to hold in a cough stuck in his throat as Glenn sweats profusely.

 " What the hell we gonna do about that?"

 " Ask Rick to look into it. Try to make a timeline--who's where when," Carol responds to me. " But what are we gonna do to stop this?"

 " There is no stopping it," I finally say. " Unless we figure out a vaccine you have go through it."

 " But it just kills you," Michonne states, making me turn my head to her.

 " It's not the illness, it's the symptoms. You got a better chance of choking on your blood before the virus even get's close," I explain.

 " We need antibiotics," Hershel states.

 " We've been through every pharmacy nearby," Daryl responds.

 " What about the West Peachtree Tech?" I question, knocking my hand on the table. " It was mainly a veterinary college, probably our best chance."

 " It's fifty miles," Carol objects.

 " It's our best shot. I'm getting a group together, I ain't wasting anymore time," I say, getting up from my seat. " Hershel, can you write me a list of what we need?" I ask, which he agrees quickly.

 " I'm in," Michonne adds on, I hum in acknowledgement.

 " There's no telling how long you'll be gone. It'd make sense to separate when most vulnerable. We can use the administration building. Separate office, separate room."

 " Who is the most vulnerable?" Glenn finally speaks.

 " The very young."

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 " Daryl?" I holler once more, looking around the cell block before walking to our cell, finding him sitting at the edge of our bed. " Softie what you doin'?" I try  to walk to him, only for him to stop me.

 " Don't-Don't come over here," he croaks, finally looking up at me. I look at his rag, seeing small drops of blood, his hair matted with sweat. " I got it."