Chapter 5 (2/2): Tell It To The Frogs

Carter's P.O.V

It's been around two hours since I started hunting. The rope around my waist covered in squirrels and rabbits I killed. The blood changed my blue jeans into crimson. Tracking my steps back to camp, I slow down when I hear people screaming. I walk over and see the group around a geek eating a deer.

Amy and Andrea look like they're about to heave up there breakfast. Glenn, Jim, Morales, Shane and Rick have disgusted faces. I roll my eyes and pull out my hunting knife, but Dale beats me to it by chopping the geek's head off with an ax.

" It's the first one we've had up here. They never come this far up the mountain." Dale looks over at me and asks," Where have you been?"

I just point to my waist. "Ugh, gross," Amy gags. Branches snap, making me grab my bow and arrow, aiming at the sound. A man comes out from the bushes with a rope of squirrels around his tors, a crossbow in hand with an annoyed expression.

" Son of a bitch. That's my deer! Look at it. All gnawed on by this..." He then kicks the headless carcass while ranting, " Filthy, disease-bearing, motherless poxy bastard!"

" Calm down, son. That's not helping," Dales exclaims, trying to calm the guy down.

" What do you know about it, old man? Why don't you take that stupid hat and go back to 'on golden pond'? I've been tracking this deer for miles. Gonna drag it back to camp, cook us up some venison. What do you think? Do you think we can cut around the chewed up part right here?" I shake my head no as Shane says not to risk it.

" Damn shame. I got some squirrel, about a dozen or so. That'll have to do."

The geek then scares the group as the moves it mouth, trying to gnaw at us. Amy is about to throw up again. I roll my eyes, shooting an arrow. A bolt lands right beside my arrow, making me look up, seeing the hunter blue eyes staring back at me. He stares a moment longer before asking, " Who 'da hell is she?"

" Her names Carter," Glenn answers for me, " From what I can tell she is a tracker and hunter too, Daryl."

He then scoffs. Walking by me, he hits my shoulder. I roll my eyes and grunt, pulling my arrow and his bolt out of the geek's head. I wipe them on my jeans, walking behind Daryl and sticking the bolt and arrow in my quiver.

" Merle! Merle! Get your ugly ass out here! I got us some squirrel! Lett's stew 'em up!" he yells. When he get's no response you can see concern cross his face.

" Daryl, just slow up a bit. I need to talk to you," Shane says, making Daryl stop yelling.

" About what?"

" About Merle. There was a...," he stops trying to find the right words. " There was a problem in Atlanta."

" He dead?"

" We're not sure."

" He either is or he ain't!" he yells, forcing Rick to intervene.

" No easy way to say this, so I'll just say it."

" Who are you?"

" Rick Grimes."

" Rick Grimes, you got something you want to tell me?"

" Your brother was a danger to us all, so I handcuffed him on a roof, hooked him to a piece of metal. He's still there."

Daryl begins to pace in place. " Hold on. Let me process this. You're saying you handcuffed my brother to a roof and you left him there?!"