Chapter 9 (1/3): TS-19

Carter's P.O.V

 Both Daryl and I cover the group as the group goes in but not before grabbing all the gear we need. As we walk in the doors slam shut, making me give a small jump in surprise. Walking through the hallway we hear a gun click, making me raise my bow again, as does Daryl.

 " You all submit to a blood test. That's your price for admission, and since you are already closed off from the outside, it is your only choice."

 " We can do that," Rick answers to the voice. He tries to get a handshake from the scientist when we get a few feet away from him as he lowers his gun, yet he declines, only saying, " Dr. Edwin Jenner."

 We cram into the elevator, awkward tension rising between us and the scientist. The elevator shakes slightly, making me be pushed back into Daryl's chest. I feel him tense before easing a bit. " Doctors always go around packing heat like that?" Daryl asks the scientist.

 " There were plenty lying around. I familiarized myself. But you look harmless enough. Except you, I'll have to keep my eye on you," he says pointing to Carl, making the kid smile as I smirk the smallest bit. As the doors open, Carol questions if we're underground, making Jenner answer with, " Try not to think about it too much. Vi, bring up the lights in the big room," he tells the ceiling, making the lights turn on before welcoming us to Zone 5.

 " Where is everybody? The doctors, the staff?" Rick questions.

 " I'm it. It's just me here. Vi is...the building. I'm all that's left. I'm sorry. Come on, we must take the blood tests." We follow him into a small room, only filled with a table and many other seats. After a few minutes, I was the only one left who hadn't gone. " Alright, you're the last one. It won't hurt." I sit in the seat beside him, passing Andrea who seems a bit tipsy,  putting my arm on the table as he sterilizes the needle before sticking it in my skin as I tense up slightly. When the syringe clicks I stand up quickly, only to see black spots and the floor get a bit closer.

 " You alright?" I hear the redneck ask me. I nod my head slightly as I stand up straight again before looking at his hands wrapped around my arm, holding me up. He quickly let's go when I'm steady enough.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 We all sit around a big table, everyone laughing and drink as I pick at the small pieces of food on my plate, look at the full glass of wine every now and then. I look over at Carl to see him trying the wine before gagging, making everyone laugh as I smile slightly at him before eating what's left of my food. 

 " Well, just stick to soda pop there, bud."

 " Not you, Glenn," Daryl says beside me.

 " What?"

 " Keep drinking, little man. I want to see how red your face can get," he jokes, making us all laugh. I laugh a small laugh, making Daryl look over and give me lop-sided smile before asking, " You gonna drink?"

 " I don't drink," I tell him as I hand him my glass. He grabs it before downing it.

 " Carter, we never really learned much about of you. Why don't you tell something about yourself," Lori says, making people quiet down slightly?

 " There's nothing to know," I tell her.

 " Yes, there is. How about your full name and what you did before this."

 " I-um, Carter Foyer, and a mechanic," I stutter slightly.

 " How 'bout your family. Do you know what happened to them?" Daryl asks.

 " No. Don't wanna know anyhow," I mutter the last part, making Daryl give me a confused expression before I change the subject. " Hey, we haven't thanked our host properly." We all thank Jenner, clinking our glasses together before drinking, only me and the kids drinking water. I look to the side to see Daryl looking at me with an expression I can't read before he goes back to drinking. I gulp down the rest of my water before getting up and walking off to the where the rooms should be.

 " Take it easy on the hot water." I stop in my tracks, as everyone stops talking. I slowly turn around.

 " Ho-Hot water!" I exclaim, a toothless smile showing on my face as others smile grow too. We all run to the rooms, each picking a room. Since I slowly followed them I picked the last room at the end of the hall. I open it only to see a scared back. I let the door close behind me, making him turn around and see who it is. When I notice it's the redneck he quickly turns around, his chest facing me.

 " 'Da hell you doing?" he questions me with anger.

 " What happened to you back?" I ignore his question, taking steps closer to him as he takes steps back until his legs hit the edge of the bed. He lets out a shaky breath before saying, " My old man, alright! Not like you would understand..." he trails off, looking down. I glare at him before taking off my jacket and shirt, now only wearing a bra before turning around, showing the scars on my back. I hear him take in a sharp breath before I feel his cold hand touch one of them. I jump away from his touch, only for him to pull me back towards him, one hand on my shoulder as his other starts to feel my back slightly. He traces a few before muttering a small sorry.

 " Don't bother," I turn around, so I look him in the eyes, " you can't change real fucked up parents." he gives a breathy laugh, a small smile crossing his face. We stare at each other until I realize we are both topless. He seems to figure out as well since he looks anywhere but me, red crossing both of our faces as I look down at our shoes. I clear my throat before stuttering, " Uh, I-I'll just, um go take a shower. I'll be out soon." I grab a loose shirt and boxers from the dresser before walking into the bathroom, locking the door behind me. I let out a breathy laugh, shaking my head as I comb my fingers through my tangled hair. " I can't believe, I, just did that." I smile slightly before turning on the water, steam instantly escaping as well.