Chapter 34 (1/2): Seed

Carter's P.O.V

Stopping on the highway, I let go of Daryl, hopping off the bike. Everyone else gets out, Maggie and Glenn unfolding the map.

" We got no place left to go," Hershel states, looking at where we've been.

" When this herd meets up with this one, we'll be cut off. We'll never make it south," Maggie explains, pointing at the map. I walk over, looking behind Hershel, Maggie and Rick to the right of him, Daryl across from me.

" What would say? That was about 150 head?" the redneck questions.

" That was last week. Could be twice by now," Glenn answers.

" The river could've delayed them," I say, my finger tracing the map, " If we move fast, we could get a shot to tear though there."

" Yeah, but if this group joins with that one, they could spill out this way," T says, shutting down my idea.

" So we're blocked," I announce, Maggie humming in agreement.

" Only thing to do is double back at 27 and swing towards Greenville," Rick explains.

" We picked through that already. We spent the winter goin' 'n circles," I state, making him look at me.

" Yeah, I know. I know. At Newman we'll push west. Haven't been through there yet. We can't keep going house to house. Need to find someplace to hole up for a few weeks." T, Maggie and the others go to fill up water. I go to see if I can find anymore to hunt.

I follow a pair of rusty train tracks, whistling a small tune. Looking over to my right, something catches my eyes, something humongous too. A prison, a damn prison. A sincere smile grows on my face, seeing the fence still up, around a few dozen walkers inside.

Daryl's whistle inturrupts my thoughts. I whistle back, seeing him and Rick walking towards me. " What's with the smile?" I point at the prison, the small smile still noticeable. I look over at Rick, seeing the gears turning in his head. He looks over at me, giving a small smile too, knowing we have a plan.

Walking to the fence, Rick cuts it with bolt cutters, one by one each of us getting inside. Daryl and Glenn close it off, seeing we're stuck in between the two gates. We run as fast as we can, ignoring the walkers until we make it to the entrance.

" It's perfect," Rick states. " If we can shut that gate, prevent more from filling the yard, we pick off these walkers. We'll take the field by tonight."

" How do we shut the gate?" Hershel questions.

" I got it," I say. I check my clip, seeing there's enough bullets. " Cover me." I look at Daryl, seeing him concerned before giving a nod, trusting me.

" Alright. Maggie, Glenn, T and Beth, draw as many as you can away from the gate. Pop 'em through the fence. Daryl, you I go to the other tower. Carol, you come with us, just take your time, we don't have ammo to waste. Hershel, you and Carl take this tower." Daryl gives me a peck on my forehead before running off to his tower, Rick giving me a few more bullets just incase. Glenn hands me a pair of chains, which I nod thanks to, slinging a rifle on my back.

The four distract the walkers, Lori opening the gate for me. I jog around the turned-over bus, seeing if the coast is clear. When it is I sprint quickly, killing a few walkers on the way. One gets close, only to see a bolt go through. I trip on my feet, seeing a bullet hit where my foot was about to be. I keep my footing, continuing to run quickly.