Chapter 21 (1/2): Nebraska

Carter's P.O.V 

 I lower my gun, crouching beside her as Carol continues to sob before running off. All I can hear is ringing as I look at Sophia. My hand hovers above her before I feel her hair. Ratted and dirty yet still feels soft. Like a china doll.

 A hand grasps my shoulder, making me look up and see Daryl, him eyeing me with concern as Shane goes off on the Greene's, everyone else separating. I look back down, turning her over to see her face covered in blood. Looking at her neck I see no dog tags.

 " C'mon. We should go," I hear him murmur.

 " Go, go where!" I yell, standing as he does, surprising him. " She was the only reason I stayed. The only reason people wanted me here is because I could help find her! I'm nothing damnit! I'm not wanted here. Never was." I walk off quickly towards the field before moving into a sprint. I hear his footsteps grow faint as I run faster into the woods, disappearing.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 The sun set about an hour ago. I'm holed up in the farm house me and Daryl found, eating the squirrel I killed on the way here. I started a small fire inside the house using the old books. I only have my bow and quiver with me since I didn't bother with anything else.

 Leaning back against the wall, I mess with the knife in between my fingers. My thoughts starts to wonder of my life beforehand, making me laugh dryly. " Life was worse beforehand anyhow," I mumble, looking at the flames.

 I look around, hearing around a dozen or so walkers trying to get inside. I get up from my sitting position, letting my bow and arrows lay on the floor. I walk up the stairs, looking through the main bedroom. Underneath the bed I find a bottle of whiskey. Biting my lip, I try to stop myself.

 " Fuck it," I curse. I pop it open, taking a huge gulp, a burning sensation going down my throat. I smile lightly before repeating the action, feeling myself losing it each second.

 Daryl's P.O.V

 " Carter!" I yell again. It's early dawn, walking through the forest as I look for her, scared she'll end up like that little girl. We had her funeral yesterday, but I wish Carter was there. They said she'd be back, but it's been a day and I'm terrified she may not. I snap out of my thoughts as I see I made it to the farm house again. A few walkers are trying to get inside. I slowly kill each one before breaking inside, seeing a small fire still going, her bow and quiver too.

 " Carter!" I yell more franticly. I walk up the stairs, looking through each room until I get to the master bedroom, seeing her with an empty bottle of whiskey in one hand and her dog tags in another, sitting up against the bed. " I thought you didn't drink."

 " I found them while walking here. Hung up in some random tree," she says, ignoring my statement, her voice sounding dead and dry. She drinks what's left in the bottle before throwing it across the room, it shattering. " The tags were always a good luck charm for me. They got me out of my house and away from my family. I thought they'd work for her too." Her voice cracks at the end, her eyes becoming glassy as she tries to hold in tears.

 I slowly walk to her, sitting beside her before pulling her body into mine. She reacts instantly, pulling me closer, hiding her face in my chest as she sobs silently. I hold her in me arms, wrapping them tightly around her.

 We stay like that for what felt like hours until her sobs become sniffles every few seconds. She slowly pulls away, her heat disappearing from where she was before. Sitting back beside me again, she pulls her legs to her chest. She quiets down fully before asking, " How'd you find me?"

 " Tracked you." She nods her head silently before standing up, trembling a moment before walking downstairs as I follow. " What are you doing?"

 " Leaving." She spins around, our eyes connecting. " Go back. You actually have a place there." She throws her bow and quiver over her shoulder before trying to walk away, which I stop quickly.

 Carter's P.O.V

 His hand wraps around my wrist, pulling me back like before, his free hand grabbing my chin softly. " You're staying with me. I'm not losing you." His hot breath hits my face as my tongue darts out my mouth for a second. His eyes glance at my lips before staring at me again. I slowly lean in, his breath getting hotter as he leans in with me. My eyes flutter close before feeling his chapped yet soft lips on mine. Our lips move together, him letting go of my wrist and chin, wrapping around my waist. My hands go to the back of his neck.

 We stay like that for what like an eternity before pulling back, panting heavily. I lay my forehead against his, opening my eyes to see his icy blue ones. " I'll stay," I whisper, making his lips twitch into a small yet noticeable grin.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 " Carter, we need you!" I hear Rick yell. I look over to see him running towards me. " Where were you?" he questions.

 " Needed to calm myself."

 " Look, Hershel left. We need you as backup alright?" I glance at Daryl, seeing his face filled with annoyance before nodding my head, saying I need a minute.

 " You are not leaving," he orders, Rick walking away.

 " I'll be oka-"

 " And what if you're not? Hm? I don't want you-... I'm  scared of you disappearing and leaving me. I don't want that now."

 I let out a sigh before looking at him. " I'll be okay. I'm not leavin' you. It'll be easy. We go in, we go out. Simple," I explain, yet he still looks unsure. I stand on tippy toes before kissing him on the forehead. His body relaxes as I do too, his eyes closing as I whisper, " I'll be okay. Trust me." He nods his head before opening his eyes. I give a soft smile, giving his lips a soft peck before walking towards Rick and Glenn. I look back at Daryl, seeing him smile before walking off to our tent. As I look back I see the two boys smirking, making my face become a rose color.

 " You ready?"

 " Mhm," I hum.

 " You and Daryl-"

 " Shut up," I cut Glenn off, sitting myself in the back, Glenn driving as Rick goes into the passenger seat with grins on their faces.