Chapter 3 (2/2): Guts

Carter's P.O.V

" My God, it's like Times Square down there," Andrea states.

" How's the signal?" Morales asks T-Dog, giving him a glance.

" Like Dixon's brain...Weak," he responds. I cough to cover my laugh, Merle responding with the bird. Morales mutters for T to keep trying.

" Why?" Andrea questions. " There's nothing they can do. Not a damn thing." Morales then explains to Rick and me about their camp outside the city.

" Then she's right. We're on our own. It's up to us to find a way out." I was about to tell Rick an idea until Merle beats me to speak.

" Good luck with that. These streets ain't safe in this part of town from what I hear. Ain't that right sugar tits?" Merle asks Andrea. I bite my lip to hide a smirk at her expression. " Hey, honeybunch, what say you get me out of these cuffs, we go off somewhere and bump some uglies? Gonna die anyway."

" The streets ain't safe. Now there's an understatement," Morales adds.

" What about under the streets? The sewers?"

" Oh man." Morales then looks at Glenn before saying, " Hey, Glenn, check the alley. You see any manhole covers?"

" No, must be all out on the street where the geeks are."

" Maybe not. The old building like this built in the '20s... Big structures often had drainage tunnels into sewers in case flooding down in the subbasements."

We all stare at Jacqui for a moment before Glenn asks, " How do you know that?"

" It's my job...was. I worked in the city zoning office."

-

Carter's P.O.V

 " I really scoped this place out the other times I was here. It's the only thing in the building that goes down. But I've never gone down it. Who'd want to, right?" We all stare at him. I push an eyebrow up at him. He sees our reply, muttering, " Oh. Great."

 " We'll be right behind you."

 " No, you won't. Not you."

 Andrea steps forward, questioning, " Why not me? Think I can't?"

 " I wasn't-"

 " He doesn't want the whole group coming with him to ride up like a stick in his ass." Andrea glares at me, not like it bothers me. Glenn nods at me in thanks and tells us where we will be.

 Glenn goes down there with Morales. Jacqui stays in the basement to warn them if something goes wrong. Andrea and Rick are at the front of the store, making sure no geeks come through, while I and T-Dog go up on the roof.

-

Carter's P.O.V

 T-Dog has been trying for a few minutes to get a response on the radio and failing miserably every time. I've been taking my Glock apart before putting back together.

 " You really know a lot about guns, don't you sweetie?" I shrug, checking the chamber and the mag again, putting it in safety mode and back into the waistband of my jeans. I grab my bag, looking for a mirror to see how bad my face is until Merle interrupts my thoughts.