Chapter 57 (1/2): 30 Days Without an Accident

Carter's P.O.V

 Eating my bowl of food, I get a few greetings from others before a hand ruffles my hair. " C'mon Daryl," I complain, fixing my hair once more.

 " Morning, Carter," he greets me, giving me a peck on the cheek. A ring of greets are given to him as he's given a bowl of food from Carol.

 " Daryl, Carter, I need you to see something." I stand up from my seat, moving so I stand beside the redneck. " Patrick, you want to take over?"

 " Yes, ma'am," the kid responds quickly, moving to take her spot. Me and Daryl go to follow Carol before Patrick stops us. " Mr. and Mrs. Dixon, I just wanted to thank you guys for bringing that deer back yesterday. It was a real treat, Mr. and Mrs. And I'd be honored to shake your hands." Daryl and I glance at each other. He licks his fingers as I wipe mine on my jeans before we give the boy a handshake, a grin of happiness on his face. Walking away to follow Carol, Daryl questions, " When'd we get married?"

 " They think you're married because you beat one of the newcomers who flirted with Carter," Carol responds.

 " He started it," he grumbles. I scoff lightly, a smirk on my lips.

 " About today, I don't know if we're gonna be able to spare a lot of people for the run," she explains.

 " That place is good to go. We're gonna move on it," he says.

 " Yeah. The thing is, we had a pretty big buildup overnight," she adds on once we're able to see the fences, showing what she says is true. " Dozens more towards tower three. It's getting as bad as last month. They don't spread out anymore."

 " With more us in here, we're drawing more of 'em out," I say.

 " You get enough of those damn fence-clingers, they start to herd up," he adds on.

 " It's manageable, but unless we get ahead of it, not for long. Sorry Pookie," she apologizes. I snort lightly as he scoffs, pushing both of us before walking away. I stare at the herd of walkers, my smile slowly disappearing as thoughts roam my head.

 " It wasn't your fault," Carol says, my eyes moving to the lady beside me. I avert my eyesight to my boots instead. " Daryl doesn't think so either."

 " His blood 's on my hands." I walk away from her, feeling her gaze on me still.

---

 Carter's P.O.V

 Fixing my gear together, I place supplies in the back of the truck, the teenage couple talking. I lean against the truck, listening in on them before Beth leaves her new boy-toy empty-handed.

 " Okay, are you gonna say good-bye?"

 " Nope," she hollers back, walking off.

 " It's like a damn romance novel," Daryl complains, placing more items in the back of the tuck.

 " It's better than a drama show," I shrug, Daryl scoffing as a reaction.

 " Like hell I'd be in one," he grumbles. I roll my eyes, walking over to Sasha as Bob, a new one brought in by Daryl, speaks with her.

 " I just want to make sure you know how to play on a team," Sasha explains, Daryl walking by the both of us, saying, " We ain't gonna do it unless it's easy."

 " You know he was a medic in the Army," Glenn adds. Sasha looks at me. I sigh, wrapping my arm around her shoulders.

 " What rank?" I question. He grows confused. " What's your rank and any skills? I ain't asking a third." I  state.

 " Um, E-5, Y-Y6 and W2," he stutters. I hum, giving Sasha a small nod and shrug, yet she still looks unsure.

 A/N E-5 is rank of  Sergeant.  Y6 means a Cardiovascular Specialist. W2 means a Army Civil Affairs Medical Sergeant. Yes I did my research.

 " You a hell of a tough sell. You know that?" he questions her. She finally gives a small okay. I pat her shoulder, walking over to Daryl before hopping on his bike. He starts the bike, revving up before moving, the two cars following behind us.